Charting range as a vertical bar chart

wallymw

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm working on a project where I want to show price gaps for a given product against some competitors (better to have a larger negative price gap or smaller positive price gap to competitors).

Each competitor would be a separate vertical bar and the range could be all negative ($-0.10 to -$0.20) or the range could be positive to negative ($0.05 to -$0.05) or lastly all positive ($0.50 to $0.60).

As you can see below the 'range' of these price differences are all just $0.10 from maximum to minimum. However when I do these as a stacked bar with hiding the first bar, I'm using hidden stacked bar since I need to use the 'hidden bar' just as a data point for the start of the data range, the size of the bar can be disproportionate across the three competitors (all have a price gap of $0.10).

The range that is all positive looks the largest since a stacked bar just adds to the first bar....the first part of the bar = $0.00 to +$0.50 is hidden but shows the +0.50 for the start of the range as the data point from the hidden bar, but then the second bar is shown as a data point for +$0.60 and the 'size of the bar is therefore $0.60 added to the $0.50 hidden
Price Gap Example.png
'.

I didn't see any charting range functions as vertical bars in excel. Is it possible to do this another way? I want to stay away from anything that forces me to enter data as text boxes as I would rather have the data entered into the data table show automatically.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
How about this?:

Book12.xlsx
ABCDEFGHI
1-0.20.16
2HighLowFirstGapLower LabelDataUpper Label
3Competitor 1-0.1-0.200.160.10.16
4Competitor 20.05-0.050.150.160.10.16
5Competitor 30.60.50.70.160.10.16
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1F1=MIN(D3:D5)
G1G1=(MAX(C3:D5)-MIN(C3:D5))*0.2
F3:F5F3=D3-$F$1
G3:G5,I3:I5G3=$G$1
H3:H5H3=C3-D3

And you plot it like this:

1723225519519.png

I left the border line visible, it should be hidden also.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back