Charity Donation

Kaps_mr2

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I had a bizarre thought this morning. A lot of people give their time for Mr Excel freely and voluntarily. How about we set up an online donation "box" - where people who ask questions can show their appreciation by donating some money.

This money could then go to charity. Just a thought !!!

I am all for it, but it should not add another burden to the already overworked administrators.

That is a very kind gesture. But I think riaz hit the nail on the head. That would involve some board set-up, account set-up, administration, decision making, etc, to a Board that is all volunteer.

In lieu of that, I would say that the best thing you could do is to "pay-it-forward" by helping others out in any way you can (if you can help others on this board, great, but it doesn't have to be limited to this board), or make a donation to your favorite charity.

Or if you would like to support Mr. Excel, you could purchase something from the Mr. Excel store (I know Bill would like that!). :biggrin:

I already help with the board (I think I've done about 500 posts where I have tried to help others). We can just have a link to a "just giving site" and they manage the whole thing. No need for admin. The "just giving site" will have a paypal / worldpay transaction process.

And if it gets accepted, I'd like to propose the first charity - as it was my idea !!!

Kaps

Just giving is only UK charities, but the majority of people here aren't British. And I think a Justgiving account is tied to a single charity - not sure how easy it would be to do a regular charity change?

Also not sure there's a need for a nominated charity. Maybe it's the quality of my posts, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times someone has offered a financial donation as a thank you for my work...

how many fingers are on your hand ???
seriously, why can't we try it and see what happens ?

Kaps

Kaps_mr2,

Once again, it is a nice idea, but it is not going to happen. Things like this have been discussed before within the Admin group, and they agreed it is not something they will do at this time. There are many issues such as:

1. There is Maintenance (setting up links, etc)
2. The determination of where the money goes (as pointed out, this is an international board)
3. This is a volunteer board, and many of the Administrators are strapped for time as it is
4. Also, we do not want to give the appearance that though this is a free board, people SHOULD donate. It could be easily interpretted as such.

If you would like to donate to a charity of your choice as a give-back to the help you have received here, by all means, do so. You will just have to do it yourself directly.

Maybe it's the quality of my posts, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times someone has offered a financial donation as a thank you for my work...

If you need more than one finger then your posts are of a far higher quality than mine, actually, thinking about it I'm not sure I even need that!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NghiVmexgdhh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back