Characters in VBA appear as question marks

Shukis7

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I'm coping a code in VBA and the Greek characters are appearing as question marks.

This is the code that I'm pasting:

Sub Transaction_Catergory()
Dim lr As Long
lr = Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , 1, 2).Row
With Range("AJ2:AJ" & lr)
.Formula = "=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(""Αναδ"",BF2)),""Bank Restructuring"",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(""Αντιπ"",BF2)),""Antiparoxi"",""Open market""))"
.Value2 = .Value2
End With
End Sub

This is what I get in the module:

Sub Transaction_Catergory()
Dim lr As Long
lr = Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , 1, 2).Row
With Range("AJ2:AJ" & lr)
.Formula = "=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(""??ad"",BF2)),""Bank Restructuring"",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(""??t?p"",BF2)),""Antiparoxi"",""Open market""))"
.Value2 = .Value2
End With
End Sub

I changed both the font and the system locale, but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? I will appreciate your help.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Looks like your PC/Excel install does not recognize the Greek character set. What is the ACP setting on your PC?

VBA Code:
Sub GetACP()
    MsgBox "ACP (ANSI Code Page) setting on this PC is " & CreateObject("WScript.Shell").RegRead("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage\ACP")
End Sub

Upvote 0
I believe it is VBA that doesn't support UNICODE characters. So I would suggest that instead of hard coding the value in your code that you store it somewhere in Excel. So, for example, store it in either a worksheet cell or defined name, and then in your code refer to it by cell or name.

Upvote 0
Looks like your PC/Excel install does not recognize the Greek character set. What is the ACP setting on your PC?

VBA Code:
Sub GetACP()
    MsgBox "ACP (ANSI Code Page) setting on this PC is " & CreateObject("WScript.Shell").RegRead("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage\ACP")
End Sub
ACP (ANSI Code Page) setting on this PC is 65001. Does this recognizes the Greek character set? I'm using it in every other Microsoft application and didn't have any problems.

Upvote 0
I believe it is VBA that doesn't support UNICODE characters. So I would suggest that instead of hard coding the value in your code that you store it somewhere in Excel. So, for example, store it in either a worksheet cell or defined name, and then in your code refer to it by cell or name.
Thank you that worked, however I would prefer to hard code the value in my code, but that doesn't seem to be working. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
ACP (ANSI Code Page) setting on this PC is 65001. Does this recognizes the Greek character set? I'm using it in every other Microsoft application and didn't have any problems.
No. 65001 is for Unicode UTF-8 character set. What you want is Windows-1253. Though it's not the only ACP supporting Greek characters

Usually this is accomplished by changing your regional settings in Windows setup.

Upvote 0
No. 65001 is for Unicode UTF-8 character set. What you want is Windows-1253. Though it's not the only ACP supporting Greek characters

Usually this is accomplished by changing your regional settings in Windows setup.
Thank you, I will try that!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back