Changing PivotTable data source to named range with VBA

manlypeeps

Hi,

I have a Java application that Excel files to users. However, I have a problem when a users chooses to open a file that includes a pivot table without saving it locally beforehand (and so it is downloaded to the user's temp folder) as Excel thinks its data source is external - even though the pivot table is getting its data from a named range that points to another sheet in the same workbook.

I thought I had a solution with the following code that basically refreshes the pivot table's source to the correct named range:

Worksheets(sCurrentSheet).Range("A5").PivotTable.ChangePivotCache ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:=sPivotRange, Version:=xlPivotTableVersion10)

However, this only appears to work with Excel 2007. When a user tries to open a file with Excel 2003, the error message 'Runtime error 438: Object doesn't support this method or property' is displayed. I'm guessing that it has something to with the ChangePivotCache method as I can't see it in the Excel 2003 help.

I don't want to have delete the existing pivot tables (as each file can contain multiple pivot tables), so is it possible to replace the existing pivot table cache with a new named range?

Any help is much appreciated as this is driving me insane!

Steve

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back