Changing File Name of a Linked Table

FBandData

Board Regular
I have a file named file.txt that is linked to my Access Database. I now want to change that to file2.txt. How can I go about changing that? When I click the box to "Always Prompt Me for File Location" it will let me select file2.txt, but then it keeps it as file.txt. If I move file2.txt to another folder, it says it cannot find file.txt.

How can I change the file name from c:\mydirectorypath\file.txt to c:\mydirectorypath\file2.txt?

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
At first, I thought you were linking to text files (or other non-Access or Excel files) using the Text File button on the Import menu on the Get External Data tab of the ribbon but "Always Prompt Me for File Location" is not a function of that process. You must be using the Linked Table Manager. Although it looks like you can, you will only be able to pick the folder where the existing linked file is (relink), not pick a new file. Use Import > Text File on the Get External Data tab of the ribbon to choose another file.

Upvote 0
Does seem to be easier to just replace file.txt with the new file, renaming it file.txt. As Micron reported, it's not going to work the way you want if you just pick the new file in the Table Manager.

If you do go with replacing the file with the new file, this probably requires no one be in the DB so best if it's single user. Otherwise, consider using importing data rather than linking data.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back