change one table into two?

silentwolf

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi guys,

I made a misstake and have created a table with ID , Date, Amount, SupplierIDRef (FK), KennIDRef(FK)

However now I like to change this into two tables for example like this

tblSupplierBills and tblSupBillDetails...

in other words I like to split the Bill of the supllier into two tables.. how can I achive this by a query withouth entering again all Bills again?

Hope this is understandable and someone can give me a bit of help with this..

Many thanks

SW

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Create a make table query using your existing table as the source.
add the fields you need.

Upvote 0
Or remove the fields you don't need :)

Assuming there will be a parent child relationship, the existing table probably has the "details" already, but you will need to create a parent table with the data that is currently duplicated (such as supplier ID, order date, order number or whatever).

A make table query is another way to do that ....
Usually however, after running a make table query, I will delete the data then review all the data types, add keys, indexes, relationships or whatever is needed. Then run the query again as an append query instead of a make table query. I mean, for any table that is going to be a permanent and important table in the database, just using the make table query as a quick way to get it started since it will create most of what you need immediately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi guys,
thanks for your reply!
The data I have at present is a table called tblLiefRechnungen this table is linked to tblKennzahlen and tblLieferanten... tblLieferanten(Supplier) and tblKennzahlen("LikeDetails") ..
And now I need to get each Supplier which has more then one Detail into a seperate table.. I kind of understand what should be done but still unsure how to go about it...

But I will try your suggestion and hope I will get it to work .)

Thanks to both of you!

Upvote 0
Okay.
The first step is to write a query to get a list of each supplier that has a detail record.
But it sounds like you already have that?? -- tblLieferanten(Supplier) ??

And now I need to get each Supplier which has more then one Detail into a seperate table..
Usually, don't think in terms of "more than one" in a case like this. Treat those who have one as being the same as those who have two, or three, or four ....

Upvote 0
Hi Xenou,
yes I have a list of all suppliers tblLieferanten .)
The issue I got is that I have in one table tblLiefRechnungen have the LiefIDRef ("SupplierID") and the KenZIDREf(those are the details..)
Of course I can have a query now wich gives me all Suppliers with the Details... but how to change the appropiate ID so that I can split it into a new table??

I hope you can understand...

Upvote 0
Of course I can have a query now wich gives me all Suppliers with the Details... but how to change the appropiate ID so that I can split it into a new table??

Hi, Sorry I don't understand. You simply keep an ID that relates parent to child. The ID in the parent table (normally a primary key, such as SupplierID) is a foreign key in the child table. The child table should have it's own primary key (such as DetailID). If keys don't exist you must create them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back