Change formats - stupid question

cruyff73

Sorry for a basic question but I'm an idiot

Been sent a sheet with custom format saying 7.50 h. I want to get rid of the h and just leave the value. Tried changing format type but that doesn't work. How do I do it please?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
If you go to the cell, right-click "Format Cells", and go to the Number tab, what exactly does it show as the Custom format?

And if you go to the cell, and hit F2 to edit it, what does it show as the actual value entered into the cell?

Upvote 0
If you go to the cell, right-click "Format Cells", and go to the Number tab, what exactly does it show as the Custom format?

And if you go to the cell, and hit F2 to edit it, what does it show as the actual value entered into the cell?
Hi,
It's Custom 0.00"h" and value is 7.50 h

Upvote 0
Hi,
It's Custom 0.00"h" and value is 7.50 h
If the Custom Format is 0.00"h", your actual entry should NOT have the "h" in it!
That defeats the purpose of having the Custom Format adding the "h", if the entry also has the "h" in it.
If the entry already has the "h" in it, then the Custom Format will not touch it anyway, as Custom Formats only work on numeric entries, and if the entry actually has a "h" physically in it, it is actually a Text entry, not a Numeric one.

The actual entry of your cell should just be: 7.5
Then the Custom Format would display it as "7.50h"

To physically remove the "h" for all your entries at once, simply select that column of that, and do a "Find/Replace", replacing "h" with nothing.
And if you do not want to see the "h" displayed, just change your Custom Format to a Numeric one.

Upvote 0
Solution
If the Custom Format is 0.00"h", your actual entry should NOT have the "h" in it!
That defeats the purpose of having the Custom Format adding the "h", if the entry also has the "h" in it.
If the entry already has the "h" in it, then the Custom Format will not touch it anyway, as Custom Formats only work on numeric entries, and if the entry actually has a "h" physically in it, it is actually a Text entry, not a Numeric one.

The actual entry of your cell should just be: 7.5
Then the Custom Format would display it as "7.50h"

To physically remove the "h" for all your entries at once, simply select that column of that, and do a "Find/Replace", replacing "h" with nothing.
And if you do not want to see the "h" displayed, just change your Custom Format to a Numeric one.
Of course it is, said I was an idiot. Can't my brain in gear. Cheers Joe

Upvote 0
No worries!
Glad I was able to help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back