Chage column format without changing the data already there

mikecox39

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I formatted a column for date and time, and want to change it to date only. But when I select the colomn all the dates I have already entered change to the date in the format example.

So I tired selecting a single cell to re-entering the date, on at a time, but they all changed even when I selected one cell, which was very unexpected.

Is it possible to change the format of a column and keep the date the was there before reformatting it?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Formatting a column does not change the underlying data, it only changes the way that the data is displayed.

Upvote 0
Formatting a column does not change the underlying data, it only changes the way that the data is displayed.
Yes, that's what I thought should happen but...
When I select the column; by clicking it's header "A", the entire column gets highlighted. When I select the new format and click OK every entry in the column changes to the new format but every entry in the column changes to Apr-19, except the last two which change to May-19. I have to do Crtl-z to change it back.

When I select a single cell the format changes but the date and time, 4/30/19 8:45, is replaced with the new format but displays "Apr-19"

Here is the workbook with the columns in questions:

https://app.box.com/s/7q2ylgvherw8lnqr4o9z3kzltwzf3jpj

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What format are you setting? as it works fine for me.

Upvote 0
What format are you setting? as it works fine for me.

I tried it again and I still get the unexpected results I've described.

I have included screen shots of my effort to change the format along with the complete worksheet, including the date in I10, which I don't recall putting there, though I'm not sure how it could be a factor here. But who knows /-:

https://app.box.com/s/l9ejhyrxoamweuvf649dg9le58iu21zc

Upvote 0
Your formatting them to show Month Year (mmm yy), which is exactly what you are seeing.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back