Cell empty conundrum

Westbury

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet with a data input worksheet where each row includes date followed by 4 data readings. These 4 readings are all numbers. For each date any one, two three or all 4 readings could be populated i.e. some cells could be empty. For any date if readings 1, 2 or 3 are empty the macro sees exactly that, "empty" but if reading 4 is empty the macro sees it as 0. Why? The cell format, if it's relevant, for all 4 readings is set to number.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Can you please post your code, and explain in more detail what you mean by the macro "seeing" cells as "empty" or zero?

Also, what exactly do you have in the four data cells? Is reading 4 truly a blank cell? Perhaps a formula returning ""? Or perhaps containing some characters (spaces or similar) that appear as blank - you can use LEN() to test this.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your interest in this.

the following 4 lines read the data. When I step through the code and position the mouse over elec, solar , gas and water and see the readings that the macro has captured. The first 3 work ok showing a numeric value or EMPTY, but the water column will capture a reading if there is one or 0 [zero] if there is no reading.

elec = Cells(a, 3).Value
solarpv = Cells(a, 4).Value
gas = Cells(a, 5).Value
water = Cells(a, 6).Value

1727019805274.png

in the spreadsheet I've populated the cells and set up up the worksheet functions LEN, BLANK & NUMBER linked to the 6th cell of the 2 rows (there's a column off to the left of this extract).

What is it that the macro is "seeing" in the 6th column that isn't being picked up in the worksheet functions?

Upvote 0
How have you declared your variables elec, solarpv, gas and water?

If you declare as Variant, or don't declare with a Dim statements so they are Variant by default, then the value before it's populated will be blank. And if the cell is blank, the variable's value will remain blank.

It appears you have declared water as numeric, perhaps Long or Double? In this case, the default value will be 0. Your code might need to allow for the difference between a blank cell (i.e. no reading) and a value of zero, i.e. a zero reading?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
The variables were all declared as double. I've changed them to variant and now all of them show as empty when the input cell is blank. I've edited the macro so the variables are all processed in the same way.

Thanks for your help in resolving this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TegIT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back