Can't find project or library error on Format function

abberyfarm

Hi,

I have this code in a macro and it works on my laptop.

Code:
 Randomize
        c = Format(rnd(1), "#0.00")
        c = Round(rnd, 2)

However, when I try run it on my desktop I get an error 'Can't find project or library' with the 'Format' word highlighted.

Could anybody tell me how to find out which library is missing and how I activate it?

Thank you

also posted here http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176680&p=655767#post655767

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hello, I followed the instructions on that page and cannot find a missing reference, you wouldn't by any chance know which reference this function belongs to and what I should be looking for?

Upvote 0
You have to check it on the desktop machine, not the laptop, with that workbook active and you are looking for any checked reference that has 'MISSING:' at the start of it.

Upvote 0
I get the same "Can't find project or library" message when trying to put a formatted current date into a cell. The word Date is highlighted as the trouble maker:

Code:
Sheets("Report").Range("D6").Value = Format([COLOR="#40E0D0"]Date[/COLOR], "mm/dd/yy")

I also tried inserting "VBA." before "Format" but received the same error message. Any ideas on this? Does Excel 2013 have a different command for inserting the current date?

Upvote 0
Have you checked for MISSING references under Tools>References...?

Upvote 0
I get the same "Can't find project or library" message when trying to put a formatted current date into a cell. The word Date is highlighted as the trouble maker:

Code:
Sheets("Report").Range("D6").Value = Format([COLOR=#40e0d0]Date[/COLOR], "mm/dd/yy")

I also tried inserting "VBA." before "Format" but received the same error message. Any ideas on this? Does Excel 2013 have a different command for inserting the current date?

OK, :confused: I discovered the problem above is that I must put "VBA." in front of both "Format" and also "Date" in order for it to work properly. (as shown below)

Code:
Sheets("Report").Range("D6").Value = [COLOR="#800000"]VBA.[/COLOR]Format([COLOR="#800000"]VBA.[/COLOR]Date, "mm/dd/yy")

I also noticed there are 4 different references to "Visual Basic for Applications" on the references list, 3 in addition to the one that is checked, but only one of them can be selected at a time. Could it be possible the wrong one is selected on this particular workbook?

The unchecked ones are:

Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications: ----> C:/windows/system32/msvvm50.dll
Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications: ----> C:/windows/system32/msvvm60.dll
Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications: ----> C:/windows/system32/VEN2232.OLB

The checked one also showed VEN2232.OLB. It would not allow me to uncheck it and gave me an error message "can not uncheck, currently in use." When I tried to add one of the others I got an error message "name conflict, too similar to other reference."

So............., :rolleyes: I saved the work book under a temp name, exported all modules and forms, and deleted all code on the individual sheets. Then I saved and reopened, reimported all forms and modules, and replaced all codes on individual sheets on the temp workbook.

Checking the references on the temp WB now I see that the checked Visual Basic for Applications reference has a different location, C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft shared/VBA/VBA7.1/ ----- And that's where it stops. The location and filename are too long to be displayed entirely on the pop-up box.

So now the script works well on the new temp WB without any error messages and without having to use the "VBA." prefix. I think they might have added something that possibly tries to detect which references are needed, but dkfs....

I love and applaud that MS is dedicated to constantly improving their products. Excel and VBA capabilities are the most ingenious programming I have ever seen. With that said, every time they update their programs it takes me time to re-write my code to become compliant - again. Thankfully this is the only bug I've seen with 2013 so far.

PS: I have about 30 other workbooks that all use the same "Format(Date, 'mm/dd/yyyy')" with no trouble. I still have not figured out why this one particular workbook was prone to this glitch.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeller10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back