Can't add fields to form/datasheet

litrelord

Hi,

I’ve inherited a database which has a form with a datasheet behind it to hold the data (as datasheets do).

The form is made up of text boxes which are linked via their control source to fields on the datasheet.

I’m trying to add the fields on the form for 2005 but I can’t seem to get it to work. I copied the 2004 text boxes which created the 12 extra columns on the datasheet. Then I changed the name properties of each text box to the corresponding month which renamed the columns on the datasheet. The problem is when I try and get these to link to each other properly I can’t find the newly created Jan05 in the control source list and the form is showing a #NAME? error.

Does anyone have any ideas what I’m doing wrong.

Sorry if this is really vague, if there is anything I can tell you that will help you understand the database more please let me know.

Thanks

Nick

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi Nick
Database design issues aside, if you open the form in design view and look at the properties (Click Edit -> Select Form, View -> Proprties <- these menu choices were from memory so forgive me if they are slightly incorrect), is the control source of the form actually based on the table or does it refer to a query? If it is a query, then you need to add the new fields from the table into the query.
HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the resposne.

The record source has the same name as the form and doesn't share the same name as any of the queries so my best guess would be to say that the form is based on the table.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. This might be a really well designed database but with my untrained eye it seems apalling. If it wasn't for the fact that I need the results now I'd just start over.

Thanks

Nick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmcquade91

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back