cannot update '(expression)'; field not updateable

oliviar

Board Regular
Hi guys,
This has me stumped. I can't use an update query I made from a linked table, to a normal access table.

It brings up this error.

BUT, if I copy the linked table into access, then it will work.

Whats going on?

:confused:

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
It is kind of a nuisance, but when performing an Update Query, all objects involved in that query must be updateable (even if the un-updateable ones are not the ones you are trying to update!).

Therefore, if you are using a linked Excel table, aggregate query, or some other un-updatebable object in your Update Query, it will not work.

There are a few workarounds, like importing the linked table directly, as you have seen. Or, you can create a Temp Table from your linked table, and use that in your Update Query instead.

Upvote 0
Linked tables, if to other Access databases or to databases like SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL can be updated from Access. As Joe said, linked Excel files cannot. This is due to a lawsuit that Micrsoft lost several years ago.

Upvote 0
How could MS lose a lawsuit about a relationship between two of its OWN programs? And why not just license the technology if thats what really happened? :confused:

Upvote 0
How could MS lose a lawsuit about a relationship between two of its OWN programs? And why not just license the technology if thats what really happened?
The methodology they were using to perform the updates across applications was not their own, they were using something that someone else created. They were sued and lost.

I don't know why they cannot create something themselves to do it.

Upvote 0
Don't think it was a lawsuit between Access and Excel.

If I recall Microsoft had included something in Office that allowed this type of link, but it wasn't really their's to include.

PS Who would win between Access and Excel?

Upvote 0
How could MS lose a lawsuit about a relationship between two of its OWN programs? And why not just license the technology if thats what really happened? :confused:

As Norie said, it was some method of linking that was included in Office which allowed updates to occur both directions and the lawsuit was that Microsoft was using technology that they didn't create and that was not licensed by the people who did. So they were forced to remove that functionality and they apparently have not been able to come up with another method to do so, or they just have not wanted to. Hard to say which.

Upvote 0
It really ruins a lot of very useful functionality that access COULD have. Seems so dumb not to pay a few cents a license for it. :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuanMark10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back