Cannot change a part of a merged cell (cell is not merged, I am not copying or pasting)

mattgardner22

I have a spreadsheet that an admin goes into on a daily basis and manually enters data in every cell down a column.

About every other cell she gets the error, "Cannot change part of a merged cell."

I am confused because the cells in the column are not merged. She is not copying or pasting anything.
She is simply entering a number and then hitting enter.

I get the same error if I enter a number and then hit the down arrow.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Any code in the workbook? Any chance that more than one sheet is selected?

Upvote 0
Any code in the workbook? Any chance that more than one sheet is selected?

Yes, I have three drop down boxes that run a small amount of code when they are updated.
I also have a large amount of code that hides and unhides rows based on the values in the drop down boxes.

Also, for the sake of more details, this problem occurs when all of the rows are unhidden.

Thank you for taking some time to help me with this!

Upvote 0
I forget to answer your second question...

I don't think so. I wasn't aware that two worksheets could be selected at the same time.
In this scenario the mouse is not being used at all, neither are the Ctrl or Alt buttons being used. The only thing being used are the numbers on the right side of the keyboard along with the down arrow on occasion.

Upvote 0
If you disable macros in the workbook and then key in as before, do you still get errors? If not, then you need to look at the code. I'd start by putting breakpoints in all the routines so you will know if something is being called and causing the error.

Upvote 0
Thanks again for you help. Your ideas have been great for troubleshooting.

So, as an experiment, I deleted all macros in the workbook, and then save it in a normal format (not macro-enabled). I still am having the same problem!

This is really bizarre and annoying enough that I feel like I have to fix this.

Any other suggestions, by chance?

Upvote 0
Some more details...

I found the root of the problem. I have a merged cell with a formula that sums the cells that are being used for the data entry. If I unmerge the cell with the formula then it solves the problem. However, this is not a great solution since it messes up the format of my worksheet.

At this point, I don't think it is fixable. I think I just need to deal with it, or change my design.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Upvote 0
If it's a horizontal merge, you could use Center across Selection instead?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back