Can You Return All VLOOKUPs in Excel? - 2247

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Oct 16, 2018.
A common question: Is it possible in Excel for VLOOKUP to return all results. When someone asks me this question, there are several different things they might be looking for. This video shows four different ways to solve the problem.
(0:00) The question: how to return all matches from VLOOKUP ?
(0:50) Total All Results
(1:36) Concatenate All Results
(2:53) Do All Lookups and Sum
(4:01) Use Dynamic Arrays
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel From MrExcel, Podcast Episode 2247: Can You Return All VLookUp Values?
Hey. Welcome back to the MrExcel netcast.
I’m Bill Jelen.
Two questions came up in my seminar in Appleton, Wisconsin last week -- both related.
They said, hey, how do we return all VLOOKUPs, alright? In this case, like J1199 has a bunch of matches and they, you know, want to return them all, and my first question whenever anyone asks me this is, well, what do you want to do with the matches?
Are they numbers that you want to add up or is it text that you want to concatenate?
And it's funny.
The two questions in the same seminar, one person wanted to add them up and the other person wanted to concatenate the results.
So let's take a look at both of these.
Check down in the YouTube description for a table of contents where you can jump to the other one if you want to see the result of the text.
Okay, so, first thing, if we want to add them all up, we're not going to use a VLOOKUP at all.
We're going to use a function called SUMIF or SUMIFS which is going to sum everything that matches this item.
So, SUMIFS.
Here’s the numerical values that we want to sum and I'll press F4 to lock that down.
That way, as I copy this down, it’s going to keep pointing to the same range.
And then we want to go check and see if the JOB number in column A, again F4 there, is = to the value to the left of us -- in this case E2.
And as we copy that down, we will see the TOTAL for each item.
[ SUMIFS($B$2:$B$53,$A$2:$A$53,E2) ] Let’s just do a little check here.
J1199.
The total is 25365.
Alright.
So, that's working.
If it's numbers and you want to get all the numbers and add them up, switch over to SUMIF or SUMIFS, but if it's text, alright, now, this function is new in Office 365 in February 2017.
So, if you have Excel 2016 or Excel 2013 or Excel 2010 or any of those older ones, you're not going to have this function.
It's a function called TEXTJOIN.
TEXTJOIN.
This is another function from [ Joe McDade – 01:50 ] who just brought us all those great dynamic array formulas at Ignite in 2018, and Joe made sure that TEXTJOIN would work with arrays, which is really great.
So, the delimiter here is going to be , SPACE, ignore EMPTY definitely.
We want to ignore EMPTY here because we're going to generate a lot of empties in this next part, the IF statement.
IF that item over an A2, F4, is = to this JOB number here, then I want the corresponding item from column C, F4, otherwise, I want “” like that.
Close that IF statement.
Close the TEXTJOIN.
Do I have to press CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER?
No, I do not.
It brings me all of the products that match like that, alright?
So, returning all VLOOKUPs, if we want to sum them, yes, if we want to concatenate them, yes.
[ =TEXTJOIN(“,”,True,IF($A$2:$A$53=E2,$C$2:$C$53,“”)) ] Alright, Now, there's one other possibility here when people ask me if they can return all VLOOKUPs.
It might be an issue where we want to look up each of these costs here and figure out the HANDLING COST and then sum them all up.
Like, I don't want to put a VLOOKUP here and a VLOOKUP here and a VLOOKUP here and a VLOOKUP here.
I just want to do them altogether and, in that case, we're going to use the SUM function and then the old, old LOOKUP function.
LOOKUP says that we're going to look up all of these values in column B.
I don't need F4 here because I'm not copying it anywhere.
,. Here's our lookup table.
), close the SUM, and it goes out and does each individual VLOOKUP and then sums them all like that.
[ =SUM(LOOKUP(B2:B53,K3:L5)) ] Well, hey.
All of these topics are my book MREXCEL LIV: The 54 Greatest Tips Of All Time.
Click that i in the top right-hand corner to learn more.
So, the question is can you return all VLOOKUPs?
Well, sort of, but not actually using VLOOKUP.
We’re either going to use SUMIF, TEXTJOIN, or SUM or LOOKUP to solve it.
Well, hey.
I want to thank you for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.
You know, alright, I've been talking about these dynamic arrays for a week.
I wanted to do one video where I didn't touch on dynamic arrays because I know a lot of people don't have them yet, but here we are.
It's the outtake.
You know, these aren't alphabetical.
This would be so much better if we could sort them, and if you happen to have the new dynamic arrays, you could send this into the SORT function, SORT like this, and press ENTER, and now the results will be sorted like that.
You know, even this formula could get better with the dynamic arrays.
The lookup requires you use the , TRUE.
What if you wanted to use a , FALSE?
We could change that to a VLOOKUP, lookup all of this text into that table , 2 ,.
In this case, I am going to use TRUE but, in another case, you might use FALSE.
CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.
No.
It's just going to work, alright?
[ =SUM(VLOOKUP(B2:B53,K3:L5,2,True)) ] Dynamic Arrays coming out in early 2019 will solve so many problems.
Thanks for hanging out through the outtake here.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIIA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back