can use Column Alias in column query

Waqas ali

Board Regular
dear all,

how can i use red column alias in sub query?

SELECT CDate(Format([ETW],"dd-mmm-yy")) AS D_Date,

YardJobMng.CNTRNo, YardJobMng.Job,

(SELECT format(MAX(ETW),"dd-mmm-yy") FROM YARDJOBmng AS YJ WHERE yj.job = "DS" and yj.CNTRNo = YARDJOBMNG.CNTRNo AND FORMAT(YJ.ETW,"DD-MMM-YY") = YardJobMng.D_Date) AS DS

FROM YardJobMng

GROUP BY CDate(Format([ETW],"dd-mmm-yy")), YardJobMng.CNTRNo, YardJobMng.Job
HAVING (((CDate(Format([ETW],"dd-mmm-yy"))) Between #2/1/2016# And #2/29/2016#) AND ((YardJobMng.CNTRNo)="03650") AND ((YardJobMng.Job) In ("DS")))
ORDER BY CDate(Format([ETW],"dd-mmm-yy")), YardJobMng.CNTRNo;

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I don't believe so. I believe that Sub-Queries are typically evaluated before the main query, so that order would not work.

I have actually don't think I have ever seen anyone try to do a Sub Query in the Select clause of a query before. It seems to be a rather odd design to me. I usually see them in the WHERE clause.

Upvote 0
Assuming your dates are all true dates, stored the same way with the same data type, etc. it will probably be better to leave out all that formatting as it's unnecessary for the accuracy of the query and may slow it down. If you aren't storing dates as dates or are storing them with different data types then of course you have to do what you can to make it work.

I believe Joe is correct that the alias of the column won't work in the subquery but of course you can just try it and see what happens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Note that in your original query, you can just use the unaliased column name (possibly) (but like Joe said it might be necessary to move it into a where clause, where you would also use the unaliased column name to make it work):

SELECT CDate(Format([ETW],"dd-mmm-yy")) AS D_Date,

YardJobMng.CNTRNo, YardJobMng.Job,

(
SELECT format(MAX(ETW),"dd-mmm-yy") FROM YARDJOBmng AS YJ WHERE yj.job = "DS" and yj.CNTRNo = YARDJOBMNG.CNTRNo AND FORMAT(YJ.ETW,"DD-MMM-YY") = CDate(Format(YardJobMng.[ETW],"dd-mmm-yy"))
) AS DS

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dofrancis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back