Can the eventual Disappearance of Recent Excel Files on the Taskbar be stopped? Pinned ones remain.

JeffFinnan

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
As I use Excel, the recent files list on the Taskbar grows. After a while, all the recent ones disappear. Any new recent files no longer show up while the pinned files remain accessible on the Taskbar. To get the Recent Files list started again. I look up how to clear them. Then I lose the pinned ones too as well. Afterwards I rebuild the pinned list. I never remember how to clear the list but search around to find out how to reset. I often lose the Word and Acrobat lists too.

Can I stop the disappearance? Thinking that once the list gets full, whatever number that may be, I will occasionally remove recent files by right clicking on them. Nevertheless, the recent ones disappear and no new ones are added.

Thanks,
Jeff

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Are you periodically using any type of Browser Cleaner such as CCleaner. those type of uitilites often wipe out the MRU (Most Recently Used) files.

As an aside, and just for the heck of it, I don't have it front of me, but there is a registry hack that will alllow you customize the actual number of recents that show on the list. I have never had the issue where my recents stop updating. Once the visible list fills up if I delete a file from any position on the list, the lowest non-visble file on the list moves up one spot to the last visible position. I don't think the list ever fills up, it just displays x many at a time.

Upvote 0
Are you periodically using any type of Browser Cleaner such as CCleaner. those type of uitilites often wipe out the MRU (Most Recently Used) files.

As an aside, and just for the heck of it, I don't have it front of me, but there is a registry hack that will alllow you customize the actual number of recents that show on the list. I have never had the issue where my recents stop updating. Once the visible list fills up if I delete a file from any position on the list, the lowest non-visble file on the list moves up one spot to the last visible position. I don't think the list ever fills up, it just displays x many at a time.
No I am not using any cleaners. What's the hack specifically.
Thanks,
Jeff

Upvote 0
This worked for Office 2010, it is not working for 365. Will it work for 2019, I have no clue. I do not encourage fooling around in the registry and if you do, I would make a backup of the registry beforehand. That said, you may want to try this. I take no responsibilty for any thing in the following post.

Upvote 0
This worked for Office 2010, it is not working for 365. Will it work for 2019, I have no clue. I do not encourage fooling around in the registry and if you do, I would make a backup of the registry beforehand. That said, you may want to try this. I take no responsibilty for any thing in the following post.

Actually I had the DWORD already set at 60. I reduced it to 20. No luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back