Can PowerPoint update an Excel cell (not looking for excel to update PowerPoint)

didi1983ON

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a powerpoint with a decision tree. There are probabilities on each branch and these are fed in dynamically from an excel. If you change the probability in the excel it updates the graphic and the end node probability.

What I would like to happen is to update the text box on the branches in PowerPoint, this would update the cell in excel and only my end node probability would pull out of the excel.

Is there a way to have PowerPoint speak to a cell in excel or is it only possible for excel to speak out to PowerPoint?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I have a powerpoint with a decision tree. There are probabilities on each branch and these are fed in dynamically from an excel. If you change the probability in the excel it updates the graphic and the end node probability.

What I would like to happen is to update the text box on the branches in PowerPoint, this would update the cell in excel and only my end node probability would pull out of the excel.

Is there a way to have PowerPoint speak to a cell in excel or is it only possible for excel to speak out to PowerPoint?
dynamically from an excel??? You never finished the sentence. Excel is the application with a massive number of objects in it that export, collate or even store data.
So, to clarify my understanding of you question:
  1. dynamically from an excel Chart?
  2. dynamically from an excel VBA script?
  3. dynamically from an excel Spreadsheet
  4. dynamically from an excel formula
  5. dynamically from an excel pivot table
You get my point? dynamically from an excel [something].

Upvote 0
dynamically from an excel??? You never finished the sentence. Excel is the application with a massive number of objects in it that export, collate or even store data.
So, to clarify my understanding of you question:
  1. dynamically from an excel Chart?
  2. dynamically from an excel VBA script?
  3. dynamically from an excel Spreadsheet
  4. dynamically from an excel formula
  5. dynamically from an excel pivot table
You get my point? dynamically from an excel [something].
Currently I update an excel cell which is linked to a powerpoint textbox and it updates the powerpoint.

The relationship I would prefer is to update something in powerpoint (text box, table, etc..) and that update in powerpoint would then automatically update the cell in excel. I want to reverse the existing relationship. I hope that makes it clearer.

For more context - in my decision tree there may be a branch that goes 90% (PPT text box updating from excel) and then 50% (PPT text box updating from excel) for an end node value of 45% (calculated in excel and presented as a text box in PPT which updated from excel). I would like to have the PPT open and while people offer feedback change the 90% to an 80% in the PPT - this would then tell the excel cell to update to 80% and my end node (fed from the formula in excel) would become 40%.

Upvote 0
I think that is something in VBA capability. Ask in Excel forums about VBA code to use in PPT

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back