Can I VLOOKUP - IF?

UniAmyColeman

Hi All

I hope this makes sense to some of you! Because after my fruitless attempts it makes less sense to me now that when I started out!

I have this data (this is a fictional representation of the names!) in an excel worksheet tab called "Confirmation Forms" -

ABCDEFG
1SubmittedOwner first nameOwner last nameStatusBuyer first nameBuyer last nameOrg name
212/07/2018JohnBadgerBuyerOrg A
312/07/2018SueGiraffeOwnerPaul RhinoOrg B
412/07/2018AishaLionBuyer Org D
512/07/2018PaulRhinoBuyerOrg B
612/07/2018LeilaHorseOwnerJohn BadgerOrg A
712/07/2018JazHamsterOwnerJessiCatOrg C
812/07/2018JessiCatBuyerOrg C
912/07/2018JanetFoxOwnerAishaLionOrg D

<tbody>
</tbody>

Each owner and buyer is asked to submit a form, this is the collated data.

In a separate worksheet tab called "External Finance" Column R is titled "Org form submitted". In this worksheet "Org name" is in column A.

This is what I would like to do- In column R of "External Finance" - some sort of indicator that the "Owner" (Column D of "Confirmation Forms" tab) has submitted the form. I don't mind if this appears as the Org name when it has been submitted and left as N/A if it hasn't, or if there is a fancy way of showing it as a yes/no.

I would then replicate this in column S of External Finance but for the Buyer. I need to see that both have submitted the form. (The Org only has one row!)

I am struggling to put together a VLOOKUP with an IF function (I assume VLOOKUP by "Org Name" with an IF for "Status") - but recognise I may be on the wrong path completely.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Amy :)

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi Amy,

Can you perhaps just use COUNTIFS? In R2 of External Finance:

Code:
=IF(COUNTIFS('Confirmation Forms'!$G:$G,$A2,'Confirmation Forms'!$D:$D,"Owner")>0,"Yes","No")

In S2:

Code:
=IF(COUNTIFS('Confirmation Forms'!$G:$G,$A2,'Confirmation Forms'!$D:$D,"Buyer")>0,"Yes","No")

WBD

Upvote 0
Ok, can I complicate it a bit more?

Some owners have more than one buyer, can I add another argument checking IF the surname in Column F of "Confirmations forms" is the same as that in column F of the "External Finance Tab"?:confused:

Upvote 0
Just an extra condition I guess:

Code:
=IF(COUNTIFS('Confirmation Forms'!$G:$G,$A2,'Confirmation Forms'!$F:$F,$F2,'Confirmation Forms'!$D:$D,"Buyer")>0,"Yes","No")

WBD

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back