Can I sort a table by applying columns in a different order to the sort request?

TheRedCardinal

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a table on a worksheet with upto 15 column headers.

Elsewhere in my workbook, I have a "Settings" sheet which contains these 15 headers and various settings associated with those columns, such as format, width, bold or not etc.
One of them is "Sort" and the column for that consists of either a blank (don't sort) or a number (the order of the sort)

My macro loads these into an array in order of sorting preference, so that Array(1) contains the column number of the first priority, Array(2) the second etc.

But when I try to apply those codes I get a Type Mismatch error. I think it's because I'm referencing the column wrong.

Here is my code:

VBA Code:
With WS2.ListObjects(1).Sort

.SortFields.Clear

If SortColNumbers(1) <> "" Then .SortFields.Add Key:=.Parent.ListColumns(SortColNumbers(1)), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending
    If SortColNumbers(2) <> "" Then .SortFields.Add Key:=.Parent.ListColumns(SortColNumbers(2)), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending
    If SortColNumbers(3) <> "" Then .SortFields.Add Key:=.Parent.ListColumns(SortColNumbers(3)), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending
    If SortColNumbers(4) <> "" Then .SortFields.Add Key:=.Parent.ListColumns(SortColNumbers(4)), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending
    If SortColNumbers(5) <> "" Then .SortFields.Add Key:=.Parent.ListColumns(SortColNumbers(5)), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending

.Header = xlYes
    .SortMethod = xlPinYin
    .Apply

End With

During testing, my array had number 3, 8 and 6, and the other two are empty.

It fails on the first line, but after "passing" the IF test.

What have I done wrong?

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
In this case I think it would be better to initialize your array it as an array of integers or maybe long numbers. I'm not 100% on this, but I think .ListColumns() is expecting an integer or maybe a long number and it's getting something else that it can't handle.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
androidmj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back