Can I ask about graphics cards here?

WaterGypsy

OK guys, between us we have loads of experience in things other than Excel and I wanted to pick your brains for what looks to me like a graphics card problem.

My mates PC won't start Windows normally - as it is loading the screen looks fuzzy (remember 'snowy' pictures on old TVs) and before it gets to the point where he enters his password the screen blacks out and a plain text box advises him to change resolution, which clearly he can't because the system won't load.

We can start in SAFE mode but trying to change the resolution says that the graphics driver isn't working... eventually we restored to a previous checkpoint (several weeks prior to last successful load) but the problem persists.

I feel it is probably a graphics card problem - does anyone have an alternative idea?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
It certainly sounds like a hardware problem if the system restore point hasnt' done the trick. I'm no expert but the next things I'd try would be downloading the latest drivers (I guess you'll need another machine for that) and installing them whilst in safe mode. (It's unlikely this will work based on your description of the problem but it's always worth a go).

If there's still a problem it may be worth making sure the graphics card is seated properly, perhaps even take it out and clean the connections.

Last resort is to find another graphics card you can borrow and try that to see if it fixes the problem (or, if you're lucky, check whether the mobo has on board graphics in addition to the card and try using that).

There's also the option of getting a Linux live cd (The Ubuntu live CD is extremely friendly) and running that to see whether the problem persists. This should definitely narrow down whether it's a hardware or software fault.

Hope this helps

Nick

It certainly sounds like a hardware problem if the system restore point hasnt' done the trick. I'm no expert but the next things I'd try would be downloading the latest drivers (I guess you'll need another machine for that) and installing them whilst in safe mode. (It's unlikely this will work based on your description of the problem but it's always worth a go).

If there's still a problem it may be worth making sure the graphics card is seated properly, perhaps even take it out and clean the connections.

Last resort is to find another graphics card you can borrow and try that to see if it fixes the problem (or, if you're lucky, check whether the mobo has on board graphics in addition to the card and try using that).

There's also the option of getting a Linux live cd (The Ubuntu live CD is extremely friendly) and running that to see whether the problem persists. This should definitely narrow down whether it's a hardware or software fault.

Hope this helps

Nick

All good ideas - thanks Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshall813

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back