Can data be plotted for different years where I can use each years particular dates for the x-axis, not the same year over and over again?

JeffFinnan

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
When I have plotted multiple years of data let's say for the month of August for example, I have to use the same over and over again as the basis for the x-axis. Is there a way to plot data for different years where I can use each years particular dates for the x-axis, not the same year over and over again? Not sure if I have articulated this well.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Not sure if I have articulated this well.
Perhaps not, given the lack of responses ;). It's not at all clear what this means ...
I have to use the same over and over again as the basis for the x-axis.
It would be good to see a sample of your layout using XL2BB.

I am guessing you have monthly data for several years, and you might want to pick a month, let's say August, and compare results like this?
1722241628389.png

If that's the case, one easy way to achieve this is to have a summary table that pulls the results into the one table, and graphs that table.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I did not articulate this well.

In this graph I have two years plotted. The x-axis in the graph are 2024 dates. Each plot uses the same Series X values: ='GTM Data 2024'!$AO$7:$AO$2000 whereas the Series Y values vary. For example the Nests 2023 uses ='D:\Dropbox\gtm\Turtles\2022\[turtleNestCountGTM-2023.xlsx]GTM Data 2023'!$AG$7:$AG$2000 and the Nests 2024 uses ='GTM Data 2024'!$AG$7:$AG$2000.
1722346729862.png

My goal, wish if you will, is to be able to use the actual X series data for each year with the x-axis showing the same min and max, not an x-axis spanning two years.

Upvote 0
If you're only plotting two years then you could put one of them on a secondary X axis, but other than that I think the only solution is to do what you are already doing - i.e. converting dates to a common year.

Upvote 0
Solution
If you're only plotting two years then you could put one of them on a secondary X axis, but other than that I think the only solution is to do what you are already doing - i.e. converting dates to a common year.
Oh well, thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back