Calculations between records?

kmacd6951

Board Regular
Does Access have the ability to calculate the difference between a field in one record, to a field in another record?

For example, a record contains the date case was created and the date the note was entered on the case. I use the difference between these two date/times to calculate the response time.

What I want to try to do next is look at the time of the note on record #1 and calculate the difference between that and the same field in record #2 - to give me the time between case updates?

Can this be done, or can you only make comparisons within a record(line)?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Yep, can be done -- there are several different approaches. One is to work with forms and subforms, because they let you grab summary data from a subform (the individual case responses) and plonk it in a field on the main form. You can then...
1. Ensure that all new records created in the subform have the Case Start Date entered by default or
2. Create an expression in the subform that subtracts Start Date from the Response Date.

Alternatively, you can use code to timestamp the field. With a bit more detail on your setup, we can give more info on the best way to proceed.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks Denis!

What I am doing is analyzing response time to customer requests in a call center. I need to look at the difference between the time a note was entered and the time the next note on the case was entered.
I only want to compare records when the case # is the same (no need to compare reponse time between 2 different cases). I can tell where a new case starts based on column H (0 = new case, 1=new note on same case)

So, here are 3 recods for one case.
Column E tells me when it's a new case ID (=0). If column H is a 0, I need to get the time lapse between column F and column D.
If H=1, I want to get the difference between the F in record 2 and F in record 1, (in this case 5/14/04 5:29PM - 5/14/04 4:26PM)

A B C D E
1188972 Billing van$smgl 5/14/04 4:20 PM mbrace
F G H
5/14/04 4:26 PM 6 0

1188972 Billing van$smgl 5/14/04 4:20 PM mbrace 5/14/04 5:29 PM 69 1

1188972 Billing van$smgl 5/14/04 4:20 PM mbrace 5/17/04 8:18 AM 223 1

I have the code all set for calculating the time lapse. I am only able to do it when the the field are all in the same record however.

Does that help clarify what I am trying to do? Or make it more confusing?? :)

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back