calculating dates...

coolhanddan

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to calculate dates based on information from more than one cell? In this case, I would like to calculate a due date 90 days after a date entered in cell E2, if the date is before the date in cell F2. Essentially, if someone is part of the data, their enrollment and discharge are in cell E and F respectively, and due dates follow. So if someone enrolled on June 2, 2011, was discharged on June 2, 2011, and there is something every 90 days, I would like to calculate that in collumns G, H, I and J, etc.

What I had up to this point is =IF(F3<1,(E3+90),""). Which works if the person is not discharged, but produces nothing if they are.

Thanks,
Dan

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I don't see how you example works ( June 2, 2011 to June 2, 2011 with something every 90 days .... but that's a start and finish on the same day ). Provide some more examples of what you are aiming for.

Upvote 0
Thanks Glenn, my mistake. I meant to write, that if someone enrolls on June 2, 2011, their expected dates to complete requirements would be first 8/31/11, then again on 2/27/12, then 8/25/12. If they withdraw on 3/13, I want the formula to calculate the first two due dates, but to put in W if the withdraw date is before the expected due date, so in this case the cell would read 8/31/11, then 2/27/12, then W.

I want the formula to calculate a date 90 days from enrollment, if the withdrawal date is later than enrollment+90days. Then the same for enrollment +270 if withdrawal does not happen first, and etc for 450 days and 630 days.

I feel like I remember there was a for this that I used similarly once before, but I cant recall how to calculate dates based on information contained in more than once cell.

Thanks so much!

Dan

Upvote 0
Hello Dan, welcome to MrExcel,

try this approach

=IF(F2<=E2+90,"W",E2+90)

then for the next, assuming the above formula is in E3

=IF(E3="W","W",IF(F3<=E3+180,"W",E3+180))

Upvote 0
Thanks so much Barry, its working for the +90, but for some reason not for 180 or 270.

Also, how do I get it not to insert a W for blank dates if the disenrollment cell is blank, to only calculate if there is a date entered in there?

Thanks,
Daniel

Upvote 0
OK, try this for the first one

=IF(AND(F2<=E2+90,F2<>""),"W",E2+90)

then a similar change for the second one

=IF(E3="W","W",IF(AND(F3<=E3+180,F3<>""),"W",E3+180))

Upvote 0
I have another question on the same spreadsheet. I want to use my calculated dates, and in the column next to the projected due date, I have entered the actual date the form was completed. I want to be able to count the days between and if it is later than the projected date have it enter a 1, if it was early or on time, a 0. The way I am doing this now is I have a column subtracting say, g2 from f2, and then another column if h2>90 enter 1, if less enter 0. Is there a way to do this in one cell?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back