Calculating a single cell within a table

ZZSteele

Not sure if "Cell" is the correct term, but I want to do the following.
I have a list with information. At the bottom I have a line that needs to have a calculation that is dependant on the information from above. See the example below...

Name Order Amount
Revenue 1 100.00
Wages 2 10.00
Overhead 3 20.00
Misc 99 5.00
Temp 99 5.00
Corporate 100 ????

I need to have the amount field in Corporate calculate all of the amounts for everything except revenue. A fomula would be Corporate/Amount = .09 * Name (where order between 2 and 99).

How do I drill down into the DB to get a calculation into a single cell?

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
This might get you started.

If your reference to List means a table (either where data is entered or stored), then the Corporate Field (as opposed to cell) could be calculated using a Query.

I sugest you make a Query based on your table and then see what information is provided when you type Sum into the Help Index.(From the Top Toolbar when in Query Design.

It looks like you are new to this (my apologies if this is a wrong assumption - no offence intended), if this is the case. I would recommend starting by creating your table in Excel and then Importing the Worksheet into Access to see how Access "works".

Then keep reading books and asking questions here - this site is superb.

Bernard

Upvote 0
thanks for the information, however the question was not explained well. This information is located in a crosstab query, the "list" from before. It returns the result in this manner (except with many more fields and records.)
NAME____ORDER____AMOUNT
REVENUE_____1________100.00
WAGES_______2_________50.00
OH___________3_________20.00
MISC________99__________5.00
TEMP________99__________5.00
CORPORATE_101________XXXXXX

Now where the X's are is where I want to have a calculation which is all of the amounts with an order number between 2 and 99 * .09
The table this is based on is basically the same information, but without the organization.

I am used to excel where I can calculate anything I want with a formula, however now since I am dealing with database constraints and joins, I am not able to enter a formula like I need or just totally mess up the syntax within the formula.

Thanks, and I will continue to learn and use this great site.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samue Thon Ajaladin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back