Calculated field - another table

paddydive

Hi,

I have 2 Tables Emp_add and State.

Emp_add Table contains details of employee address
State table contains City and its respective State

I am creating a Master Table which has details off all employees which comes from Employee Table.

what I am trying to achieve is in my Master table there should be a calculated field named as State which will pickup the correct state name from "State" table based on the City.

Sorry I am new to Access but in terms of Excel, it is just like Vlookup if we change the city the state will update automatically.

Is there any way we can achieve this...

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
You would do it in the table. There should be no dependencies between fields in properly created normalized database.
You would do it in a query, doing a left join between these two tables on the City field.

However, I would strongly caution against doing this. The reason being is different states can have some of the same city names. Here is the US, a ton of States have city names like Springfield or Washington.
What you typically see if the complete address exist in one table (and not a link to another table like you are describing).
What you are describing would only work well if City name is a Unique field, which it really isn't guaranteed to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reason being is different states can have some of the same city names. Here is the US, a ton of States have city names like Springfield or Washington.
What you typically see if the complete address exist in one table (and not a link to another table like you are describing).
What you are describing would only work well if City name is a Unique field, which it really isn't guaranteed to be.

Thanks Joe4 for quick reply.

Yes I do have unique City name ... and

what I am really trying to achieve is to create a calculate field which will automatically update the State based on the City.

Upvote 0
what I am really trying to achieve is to create a calculate field which will automatically update the State based on the City.
Calculations should always be done on the Query level, not on the Table level.

Note that while newer version of Access allow calculated fields at the Table level, they should generally be avoided, for the following reasons:
- they have some pretty strict limitations (I don't believe you can involve other tables in these calculations, only fields from the current table)
- this kind of violates the rules of normalization, and no other database program allows for this (so if you ever needed to convert the Access database to something else like SQL, it wouldn't work)

So even if you wanted to do this at the Table level, I do not believe you can for the first reason I specified.
In your query, you would just join this table with your State table, using a Left Join on the City field.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Joe4,

What would you suggest, if I have to do below in Access

1) Import a list from excel to Access in a Table (Let's say Table1)

2) Create a Master table (TableMaster) which has all the records from the imported excel.

3) In addition [TableMaster] has many other columns which are calculated based on the already existing (imported) column
For Example : [NewStartDt] is depend and calculated as " If [ActStartDt]<>"",[ActStartDt],[Start]"

...... [ActStartDt] and [Start] column are already there in import

4) There are other column which lookups data from another table

Upvote 0
All calculations and "lookups" should be done at the Query level.
Calculations are done in "calculated fields" in a Query.
"Lookups" to other Tables are done by joining the Tables together in a Query.

Note that you can use Queries as the data source for all Forms, Reports, and Exports (just as easily as you use Tables for those things).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaseremad

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back