Button to collapse / expand grouped rows

Davin21

Hi All,
I'm using excel 2007 and have just discovered the grouping rows function (that does not use a pivot table - i.e. data > group > group) - which is awesome :)

I have noticed that there are 2 buttons on the left of the screen when using this (1 / 2), where clicking on '1' collapses all groups and '2' expands all groups.

I would like to be able to assign a macro to a button to perform these two functions (so two buttons, one labelled 'Expand Groups' and the other 'Collapse Groups') so that it is easier for my end users to use?

I am no expert in creating VBA code though, and so I don't know where i'd even begin with this.....

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Code:
Sub ChangeOutlineLevels1()
    ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=1
End Sub
Code:
Sub ChangeOutlineLevels2()
    ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=2
End Sub

I like the +/- sign at the Top of the Group. Follow these steps to change it from Default.

To change the location of the Grouping +/- sign from the bottom of the Group to the Top:
In the Data Ribbon, open the Outline Dialog box.
Click the small dropdown arrow in the lower right corner of the Data/Outline section.
Uncheck the "Summary Rows Below Detail" checkbox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

I had a similiar problem and came across this thread.
Like Davin21 mentioned, it's FANTASTIC! ....however I am also protecting the spreadsheet and when I click the button, this alert pops up

"You cannot use this command on a protected sheet. To use this command you must first unprotect the sheet......"

There is a "Debug" button as well and it takes me to the codes.

I have NEVER used a macro before, this is the first time I have researched and attempted to use it. is there a way I can make the buttons work even if my worksheet is protected??

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi,

I know this thread is old but it's similar to what I am looking for. Can someone combine the above code under one button instead of two? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csktwyr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back