BUG: Jump To Page changes display order Reply[up] to Last Post By[dn]

joeu2004

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I was trying to find a Reply0 thread that was posted on or about Feb 26 and appeared recently somewhere on pages 30 to 50 when viewing by Reply[up].

Starting with page 46 (Mar Reply0 threads), I was clicking Previous Page repeatedly with no problem. I could also click on one of the previous page numbers to the left with no problem.

But when I decided to Jump To Page to go back several pages, the viewing order was changed to Last Post By[dn].

I hope that is not intentional.

They're zero reply posts. The last post by and reply date/time stamps will be exactly the same. So yeah, I certainly hope it is intentional. ;) Seems to work just fine for me.

They're zero reply posts. The last post by and reply date/time stamps will be exactly the same. So yeah, I certainly hope it is intentional. ;) Seems to work just fine for me.
Perhaps I did not explain the problem very well. A very simple experiment will demonstrate.

1. Go to the Excel Questions forum.
  2. Click on Replies twice so we see Replies[up arrow]. Thus, we see only postings with zero replies first for many pages, sorted by earliest date first.
  3. Click on Page 1 of 346 (today) and enter 2 into the Jump To Page field.
  4. Problem: Now we see a page with a mix of postings with zero and various non-zero replies sorted by latest posting date first. And the sorting mode is now Last Post By[down arrow] in the banner.
I certainly hope that is not what you would intend. It certainly does not serve my needs well.

And it is inconsistent with the other navigation options when Replies[up] is selected, to wit: left and right arrows (previous and next page), First and Last (page), and individually displayed page numbers (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 12, 52, 102).

In all those other cases, the display mode remains Replies[up], and we see posting grouped by the appropriate number of replies.

(PS: Oops, I forgot to copy-and-paste to Notepad first. Whew! I didn't get bit by the session time-out this time.:rolleyes:)

Well I can't see the php coding, and I'm not a very good php coder to start, so I can't tell you if this is by design or not. I would assume it's a bug. But I don't sort entire forums. If I want to see zero-reply posts, I use the button at the top.

I don't sort entire forums. If I want to see zero-reply posts, I use the button at the top.
Good tip! I'm still learning my way around these forums.

I like the results of the Zero Reply Posts button insofar as they are sorted most-recently first.

But it seems to show only 150 results. Today, that comprises zero-reply posts for only today and (some of?) yesterday. I was especially interested in finding older zero-replies.

(Oh, and I just realized that it's Zero Reply Posts in all(?) forums, not just the forum I'm interested in -- Excel Questions.)

BTW, the search results say there are 150. But last page (6 for me) shows only "126 to 145 of 150" (!).

Update: Actually, that was before. Now it is consistent: "126 to 145 of 145". Probably just a data sync issue. Sloppy! But I'm not concerned.

Yes it's the question forums only, not just a single one. The results must be capped otherwise it would be a severe drain on board resources running such an exhaustive board search.

Why are you interested in older no-reply posts? Mostly they're abandoned posts. Those who wish to keep their post interested need to 'bump' their posts.

Just for clarification, I get the same results you do when sorting posts and using the 'jump to' text box, it does reset the sort. This is definitely part of the php programming of the site, however I doubt we'll see any change. I'd recommend staying away from the 'jump to' text box and just clicking on the page [result].

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmix803

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back