Budget drill down help?

GJW1971

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
HI there,

I have a master table of projects, each with a value and overall progress etc. Each of those projects has sub-projects, with their own value and progress. I've inherited this and it's currently two separate workbooks, and I want to amalgamate them, and have the ability to then drill down from master project level to see the sub projects that sit within - as they're two separate workbooks I could bring it in as a tab, create named ranges for my sub projects and hyperlink to them from the master table, or I could full amalgamate the two tables and create a grouped outline, and collapse / uncollapse as I need to.

Is there a better way than the above?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hello - as you have referred to above, I would always try and recommend to keep all data within the same workbook, just incase there is ever an issue with not being able to open up a workbook or it's accidentally deleted which is conducive to the other workbook. You can still have your master table as a main summary report of information but then have supporting tabs that feed into your main source of data. Also, there will be less time in updating any formulas with less workbooks if you just use tabs within the same single workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BudgetGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back