Borders not showing

teebruin

This is probably something stupid, but I can't figure out what the problem is. I have a column that I've formatted with a border. You see the border is selected, and the color is set to Black. But on the spreadsheet, you do not see the border, and the border does not print. Since it's a right hand border, I've also formatted the left hand border for the column to the right.

Does anyone have any possible solutions for me?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi teebruin:

It sure is frustrating when one knows something should work and it does not. Any way I suggest you try the following in order:

1. delete that cell and reenter the cell border, or
2. delete the row and renter the cell border, or
3. delete the related column and reenter the cell border

I hope this helps.

Regards!

Upvote 0
I had the same problem until I realized that some of my cells had been merged. The cells that had been merged beyond the borders that I wanted to print would not show borders. After "unmerging" all the cells in the print area I was then able to reassign borders and it worked.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
Another reason why your borders might not be showing and/or printing is if draft quality is selected. This is under Page Setup, Sheet, and under the "print" section.
Cheers!

Upvote 0
I was having this same problem but just figured it out (at least for my situation). I had hidden columns to the right of the column in question. The hidden columns were hiding my right border. Once I unhid these columns, I could see my right border on the column in question.

Upvote 0
If your spreadsheet is in the protect mode the borders will not work.... unprotect the worksheet and the borders should work.

Upvote 0
If your spreadsheet is in the protect mode the borders will not work.... unprotect the worksheet and the borders should work.

That only applies if you don't allow users to format cells when you set the protection...

Btw the way you realise that the last post before you posted was from May 2016 and the original thread is from July 2002? but it is nice to see the old threads are still read and it is always good to receive contributions.

and also welcome to the forum :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csktwyr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back