Board Housekeeping Question

tvkrys

Board Regular
Is there a procedure for indicating that your problem has been resolved and the thread can be closed or locked or whatever?
Thanks, Krys

Krys

I wouldn't worry too much about it - but you can always edit the Subject line and place SOLVED at the front.

Best regards

Richard

I agree with Richard. I also don't think you would want to lock the thread. You may have a follow-up question later, or some one else may have a similar question to post as a tag to your the original thread. Some of the most informative discussions I've seen on the board have been on follow-up questions from some one other than the OP.

lenze

Moved.

You can't (automatically, or by button) with this forum software. You can, however, with vBulletin. Whether or not Bill/Tracy/Suat/whoever ever migrates to that software, I'm afraid you'll just have to bite the bullet. :(

Hello,
Is there a procedure for indicating that your problem has been resolved and the thread can be closed or locked or whatever?
{snip}
Here's a good example of why we don't do this here:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=998142#998142

If you don't know the solution to the problem, and there are multiple solutions, how could you be poised to know when the optimal solution has been posted?

Here's my take on this: This is a high-quality, technical discussion forum. We like to leave threads open for further discussion around technique and optimization.

If you're satisfied, simply say 'thank-you' and move along. Even if we could mark threads as 'solved', I would be against doing so. It implies that the posted, functional solution might be optimal, while it could very well be a hackish kludge begging for a clean-up...

I want to have my cake and eat it too, here; best-in-class solutions. It reminds me of an old company slogan I once heard, 'Not just better, best.' :)

Thanks and enjoy the forums,
Nathan P.
Super, hardcore, heavy-duty, forum Administrator

I don't think marking a thread as Solved implies that a solution is optimum, not even the slightest. Many boards I visit have this feature available and it is common knowledge that there are many ways to skin a cat, many solutions are added after the fact of marking a thread as Solved. By marking a thread as Solved (generally by only changing the thread title) it tells the people looking for solutions that this thread has a valid solution that worked (in one fashion or another) for the OP, often containing more than one solution. Seems to be a pretty far leap to assume that *a* solution is the most *optimum* solution, one I just can't make. And marking a thread as Solved should not proclude people from posting back to it as well. :)

Seems to be a pretty far leap to assume that *a* solution is the most *optimum* solution, one I just can't make.
Perhaps you don't, but I've seen people make wider leaps than this.

And, you might be right, but this forum software doesn't support this, and my opinion is that even if it could, I'm not sure I would want it to...

The problem in my mind is that 'Solved' is in the eye of the beholder, a very poor hack can be considered by one member to be a solution, but in my eyes, it's another, new problem looking for a solution. So, as far as I'm concerned, in such a case, the issue is not really solved, it's regressed.

Look at my example thread again, that thread's just getting warmed up. :)

Most threads here do wind up with a functional response of some sort, and a simple 'kthnxbi' ought to do it... :LOL:

Note, as well, that the OP requested to lock the thread, as well, which isn't going to happen.

Either way, my thoughts on the original request. :)

I saw your example thread. I'm sure 99% of all other threads can be just as analyzed and some excellent solutions/reasoning can be had from that. Would it make a difference if it was marked Solved? Maybe a little, but as a whole [board] I believe the benefits are greater.

Locking threads is a whole other ball of wax altogether. I had a guy ask me the other day to delete his user account. (I've only had to do that once in my life.) Go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parlapalli

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back