Board Feature Suggestion/Request!

Phixtit

Hello Everyone...
For starters I love the board here!
I just have 1 small suggestion/request to the Administrator (MrExcel):
Can you add a [Solved] Thread Prefix that Thread starter can change when their question has been Solved.

This would be a great feature for all members to easily know if the question has been answered or not. It would also help cut down on bandwidth.
I've noticed a lot of other sites doing this & thought I would suggest it here as I really like it here.

I hope I've posted in the appropriate section. :)

P.S.
I have knowledge with vBulletin so if you have any questions on how to do this I would be happy to assist.
Thanks,
Phixtit

In a similar vein, is there any protocol here to show that a problem is being worked on? There have been some questions asking for code to be written, and I wouldn't mind taking a stab, but would be frustrated to find someone else was doing the same thing, and I could have been helping someone else. Maybe just a quick reply in the thread or something? Has this been discussed before?

In a similar vein, is there any protocol here to show that a problem is being worked on? There have been some questions asking for code to be written, and I wouldn't mind taking a stab, but would be frustrated to find someone else was doing the same thing, and I could have been helping someone else. Maybe just a quick reply in the thread or something? Has this been discussed before?
No, and I don't think that is really feasible. There are many reasons:

1. Just because someone is working on it, doesn't mean that they will come up with a solution. I have taken many a crack at a problem that I thought was easy, only to find out that it actually isn't. Can you imagine how frustrated the person who asked the question would be if someone posted that they are working on it, so no one looks at it, and then that person never finds a solution for them?

2. There are often many different ways to solve a problem. The first one often is not the best one. It is good to see the different ways that people do things. Also, if someone posts a similar answer to yours, that tells you and the original poster that the answer is probably on the right track.

3. It would be extremely difficult to enforce, especially with the volume of users we have. With the thousands of users we have, and the number of new members join each day, this could create an extra unnecessary burden on all volunteer Moderator staff!

Here's a little tip if you find yourself replying to a lot of same posts other people are and it is frustrating you - try taking a look at the unanswered posts that are a little bit older, i.e. a few hours, days, etc.

From my own personal experience, I find that if I reply to unanswered posts on the first page of the Excel Forum, I am such a slow typer than many times someone has already posted a response in the time it took me to type mine up. However, if I look beyond the first page, those unanswered posts aren't jumped on as quickly (sometimes because they are harder), and rarely have the situation where someone else has responded while I was typing up my response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back