Beyond formulas

arkusM

Hello all,

This has been a great place to learn some things, as well a Bill's Podcasts, have got lots of great tips that I use regularly. I have developed/merged/butchered many formulas, but find them limiting.

Therefore, I am looking to go beyond the formulas and get into some VBA. I have successfully made some UDF's and even have tried using the "record macro" function but find it is limited.

I was hoping that some folks would be able to point me in the direction of some VBA tutorials/ basics, or even some books that can get me started down this path. I know that this site has some books, but I am not sure which one would be good to start with and go beyond.

Any help, direction, advise would be greatly appreciated. Cheers All.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
As a starting point, possibly the best tip I could give would be don't use the macro recorder to achieve tasks but rather to obtain sections of code to use elsewhere.

WOW, what luck, I've only just registered, this was the first thing I read and is one of the most helpful bits of info I've had for a long time, Thanks

Hello, RSUK63
Welcome to the Board !!!!!

what an enthousiasm !
ENJOY :-)

greetings from Belgium
Erik

PaddyD,
I have been slow to respond. But thanks for the link, I went through it yesterday and it has some good bits in it.
VB seems a bit like Excel, a deep dark cavarnous abyss, that holds endless treasures that must be discovered slowly.

Thanks!

Lewiy,

Do you have a place that you use? The reason I posted here was that I don't yet have a specific question or problem to solve that requires VB.
In reference to my last post, I am only entering the mouth of the cave, and don't even know what, I don't know. I was trying to find somewhere to get me feet wet so to speak.

Thanks for the tip about the the recorder! Cheers.

As a starting point, possibly the best tip I could give would be don't use the macro recorder to achieve tasks but rather to obtain sections of code to use elsewhere.

On the contrary, I think it is a good place to learn as long as you understand that recorded code is NOT the ideal way to write macros. If you use a combination of recorded code, some good web sites and a good book (most by John Walkenbach and certainly the books written by Mr. Excel, et al), you will quickly learn the concepts and skills required in VBA.

On the contrary, I think it is a good place to learn as long as you understand that recorded code is NOT the ideal way to write macros. If you use a combination of recorded code, some good web sites and a good book (most by John Walkenbach and certainly the books written by Mr. Excel, et al), you will quickly learn the concepts and skills required in VBA.

My thougths exactly.

If you want to learn VBA, I would suggest turning on the macro recorder, perform some functions, and then go look at the code that was recorded.

As well, learn about variables and loops (you can't do these with the macro recorder.)

You will then be well on your way.

Shiny. More resources. I'll pick up some of the books.
I am hoping someday that I can trim my WB calc time down from 1+ minute!! There are tens of thousands of formulas in some of my WBs, but that is the only way I knew how to get things done. Looking forward to the learning curve. Thanks all for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beraned1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back