Best practice for managing Conditional Formatting in a table?

Magnatolia

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have a problem where I have a 3000 row, 30-40 column table. In all there are about 30+ named ranges, about 10-15 columns of formulas that have between 2 and 5 nested formulas. And about 30-50 correct Conditional Formats.

When the CF's are correct, it goes well. But some records need to be duplicated with a new action number. It's when I copy these that my CF's get broken and duplicated and slows things down. I've tried pasting them beneath the table, pasting special for the conditional formatting, then extending the table.

Is there a better way for me to do this? I'm thinking that because I filter down to just the ones that need to be duplicated, I could increase the table by this number of rows and Paste-Formulas. Would this prevent the CF's from duplicating and breaking? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
hello

AFAIK this will be version dependent. Such as, Excel 2003 handled this without problem AFAIK & in later versions not so well. I'm not familiar with all versions though.

I suspect when there are problems one good way to handle it would be to have VBA. Such as code run on worksheet activation or via a button or similar that (1) removes all conditional format, and then (2) applies it. Perhaps using one worksheet to store in a table the rules and where they apply: then the code could loop through and apply formating based on the tables contents. (This is just an idea, I have no code to do that.) Or simpler just to hard code the conditional formatting rules within the code.

Maybe using the macro recorder would get you much of the way to having some code?

regards, Fazza

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back