Best method to share a database and retain local functionality

davey4444

Board Regular
Hi there.

I have a database situated on my laptop with some Excel lookup tables linked to it which are in the same local folder. I would now like to give another user access to the database and I'm after advice on the best course of action to take.
I originally though that I could simply copy the folder over to a network folder which I believe would work however I have quite a few Excel sheets where the data source is directly from the database so I guess that these would break if the database location has now moved?
I looked at splitting a database but wasn't sure if this would work or not?

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
One option (probably the best) is to go through the hassle of putting the database on a network share and updating your dependent sources to the new location. I assume that by "network" you mean a LAN. If not, let us know as there are certain strong cautions to be made if you are sharing Access on a remote network.

For what it's worth, you might be able to make the folder the database is in now a public folder and actually share it with your other user from your laptop. This would also work if you want to try to figure that out. But of course the database would be available only when your laptop is on and connected to your LAN.

Upvote 0
I looked at splitting a database but wasn't sure if this would work or not?

If you want to share the databse with otuer users then spitting it is critical.

FWIW: I split every single Access app from the start. I also link to other data sources like Excel, SQL Severs, etc without any issue.

TIP: When you link to an Excel file you are splitting the database already witht he excel data.

Basic Steps:
1) split the tables out into a separate database.
2) move the the back end database and excel files data files to a shared location on the network where the users will have read and write permissions.
3) Relink the front end to the back end database and excel files in the network shared location.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back