Best method to let user see infomation but not be ablt to change

gheyman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want the user to be able to see a table (in form view) and be able to sort and search it, but not to be able to edit or change any of the data. Also is there a way to show calculations from that table on the same form? Like the total form one of the columns/fields (that's currency) that updates with the filtering? Like an Excel Subtotal (9,)?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Set the form to ModifyData=false.
and any other properties,
Add data,
delete data,
etc.

Upvote 0
I want the user to be able to see a table (in form view) and be able to sort and search it, but not to be able to edit or change any of the data. Also is there a way to show calculations from that table on the same form? Like the total form one of the columns/fields (that's currency) that updates with the filtering? Like an Excel Subtotal (9,)?

The simple way to do this is to use a record source that is not updateable. This can easily be done by setting the Form's Recordset Type (found under record source) to Snapshot.

Upvote 0
is there a way to show calculations from that table...
I hope you do not mean the calculations are performed in the table.
To your second question, try adding a calculated textbox on your form and use a DSum expression in it. Base the form on a query rather than the table (which some say you should always do, and I tend to agree) so that you can filter out the rows you don't want. DSum on the table will sum all the records in a field. You can set the query record set to snapshot via the property sheet.

Upvote 0
Correct, not in the table. I shouldnt have used the word table. Its actually a subform on a form. But the subform is based on a query and to the user looks like a "Table" on the form. I want the calculation fields on the form. I didnt know if calculations would work like the excel Subtotal function where when the data is filtered it doesnt include the "hidden" data.

Upvote 0
Maybe just save the file as read-only? That way, users can pen the file, do whatever they want - including change stuff, but they wont be able to save the file?

Upvote 0
Correct, not in the table. I shouldnt have used the word table. Its actually a subform on a form. But the subform is based on a query and to the user looks like a "Table" on the form. I want the calculation fields on the form. I didnt know if calculations would work like the excel Subtotal function where when the data is filtered it doesnt include the "hidden" data.

If you will switch the subform to continuous view then it is very easy to do what you want.

If you want column totals then use the sub form's footer section.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back