Basic search with results view / how to make a front end

Dinictus

Board Regular
Hi,

I don't have a lot of experience with access but i learn fast. I made some tables with relations and such. Made some forms and made a form with a subform in it. (simple set up with address and registration of visits (dataview)

So 1 address can hold more than 1 visit.

But now to finish the thing I want some simple search functionality. Not the search functionality that is already in it, but a button that, when pushed, asked in which field you want to look and when you search it will list the search results that can then be clicked to go to the record.

Also, I want the form to be the only thing the users can see. The rest must be shielded. How can I do that?

I know these are probably very basis questions but I don't have a book I can reach for I and really hope you guys can put me on the right track.

Many thanks!
Dinictus Holland

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hi, in answer to your questions :

Not the search functionality that is already in it, but a button that, when pushed, asked in which field you want to look and when you search it will list the search results that can then be clicked to go to the record.

You should be able to do this with a dialog box - have a look at this article. About half way down is a heading titled "Creating a form to supply parameters to a query" - have a read of that section.

It explains how you can create a dialogue box (with a combo box) which prompts the user for the record, that you can then use as a filter for the main form.

Also, I want the form to be the only thing the users can see. The rest must be shielded. How can I do that?

have a look at using an Autoexec macro here but be aware that it can be bypassed, although that can be fixed too.

You can use the Autoexec macro to disable the menus, lock the form etc. when the database is opened.

These links should get you started and if you get stuck then post again.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back