Basic Help With New Records

cryswater

I'm not a strong user of Access, but I have created a rather robust database. I have several tables with a one-to-many relationship with referential integrity and cascade. I have a table called planholders and another called books. The planholders are book owners. Each book is uniquely numbered. I had a couple of duplicated planholders. One instance showed that the planholder was the owner of five books in the books table. The other instance of the same planholder showed ownership of one book in the books table. I was able to use the drop-down in the planholder table to re-associate the single book to the instance that showed the planholder owning five and consequently delete the second instance of the planholder who was not showing owning any books after the transfer.

I have a second issue that I'm not understanding how to accomplish. I have an owner who has eight books. Six of the books need to be associated with owners that aren't yet added to the planholders table. I tried adding a new record to the planholders table and then going to the book record on the current planholder/owner and click on the drop-down on the record for that book to re-associate it to the new planholder record I added to the planholders table. I am unable to locate the new record. It is as if it doesn't exist, however I can see it in the planholder table. I can add screenshots if this helps. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
You need to requery the control that is based on the planholder table.
If you had closed the form after adding and opened again that would do the same thing.

The refresh All button on the toolbar should do the same thing manually.

HTH

Upvote 0
You need to requery the control that is based on the planholder table.
If you had closed the form after adding and opened again that would do the same thing.

The refresh All button on the toolbar should do the same thing manually.

HTH

Thanks, I closed the database, so when I go back into it will accomplish the same thing then. I'll see how it goes on Tuesday when I work in it again. I'll reply if this doesn't go to plan. :)

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Closing the database is a little over the top. :) Closing the form and reopening will show if that is the problem.
What happens is that as you open the form Access gets the data as you have specified in the properties of the controls.
When you add a new record, you need to tell Access to refresh the data for that control and possible others. if this is going to happen with other controls then it might be best to requery the whole form.

Thanks, I closed the database, so when I go back into it will accomplish the same thing then. I'll see how it goes on Tuesday when I work in it again. I'll reply if this doesn't go to plan. :)

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Closing the database is a little over the top. :) Closing the form and reopening will show if that is the problem.
What happens is that as you open the form Access gets the data as you have specified in the properties of the controls.
When you add a new record, you need to tell Access to refresh the data for that control and possible others. if this is going to happen with other controls then it might be best to requery the whole form.

Thanks, I'll use your suggestion moving forward. I closed it as I left work for the evening... LOL

Upvote 0
No difference. The form that holds the control still needs to be requeried to get the latest data.
The combo box has a not in list event that automates some of this, but first things first.

Try closing the form and reopening after adding new planholder to see if that fixes it (which i think it should) and if so the requery will then fix that without having to close/open the form.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyedye4

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back