Barcode produces Data + Current Date/Time

cmmcullough

Hello all,

I work at a school and I am trying to set something up in Excel where students' names are attached to a barcode. We want to print this barcode on dance tickets. The idea is that when the students leave the dance, someone can scan their barcode and produce their name in an excel spreadsheet along with the date and time that they left.

I have figured out how to create a barcode for each student's name. Everything works perfectly when the barcode is scanned - each name goes into excel on a separate row. I just can't figure out the next step of causing the NOW function to execute as soon as each name is scanned in. Is this possible? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Post your code you are using to get the students name.

Probably something like this to get the date and time:

Range("A" & Rows.count).End(xlUp)(2) = Now

Where A is the column, change to the column next to the where the name is being returned.

Howard

Upvote 0
Hi L. Howard - thanks for the welcome and your reply. Sorry for the delay, I didn't have access to the workbook over the weekend. I download the barcode generator from the following website: E. Townsend Schmidt: code-39-multiple-barcode-generator-for-excel

The A column is where your write the names
The B column has the formula: =SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A2)," ","!")
The C column has the formula: ="*"&B2&"*"
The D column is where the barcode is produced using a font that you download

Here are a few pictures if you need a visual:

barcode.jpg

barcode2.jpg

barcode3.jpg

Where would I post the formula that you suggested? Thanks for you help!

Upvote 0
On the sheet you are displaying the barcode activity, do ALT + f11 and paste this code in the large white space.

These assumptions apply:

The entry of the barcode in column D produces the same enter event as hitting the enter key.
The change event range is limited to column D, rows D2:D100. This is expandable/retractable as needed by changing it in the code.

The date and time will look like this in column E on the row that just got the new barcode in column D. 4/20/2015 9:33:27 PM.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

Dim KeyCells As Range
    Set KeyCells = Range("D2:D100")

If Not Application.Intersect(KeyCells, Range(Target.Address)) _
           Is Nothing Then

Target.Offset(, 1) = Now

End If

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, new problem. I am ready to create the passes with the student's name and barcode using mail merge in Word. However, instead of recognizing the barcode in Column D, Word is picking up the text that the formula ="*"&A2&"*" produces in Column C. Column D (The barcode) simply has the formula =C1, =C2, etc. to change the information in column C into a barcode (I hope this makes sense - if not see images in posts above). My question is this - is there a way to make the Mail Merge feature in Word recognize the Barcode result in Column D instead of the code used to create the barcode. I've tried copying and pasting the barcodes into a new spreadsheet as values, but it still copies the original formula and that's what word recognizes in the mail merge. I am able to copy/paste each individual barcode into the completed mail merge on the individual pages, but it would be so much faster if word created it automatically since there are over 200 records.

barcode.jpg

Upvote 0
OK, new problem. I am ready to create the passes with the student's name and barcode using mail merge in Word. However, instead of recognizing the barcode in Column D, Word is picking up the text that the formula ="*"&A2&"*" produces in Column C. Column D (The barcode) simply has the formula =C1, =C2, etc. to change the information in column C into a barcode (I hope this makes sense - if not see images in posts above). My question is this - is there a way to make the Mail Merge feature in Word recognize the Barcode result in Column D instead of the code used to create the barcode. I've tried copying and pasting the barcodes into a new spreadsheet as values, but it still copies the original formula and that's what word recognizes in the mail merge. I am able to copy/paste each individual barcode into the completed mail merge on the individual pages, but it would be so much faster if word created it automatically since there are over 200 records.

Hmm, well that is interesting.

I am sorry, I have no response to that regarding the barcode reconversion.

Howard

Upvote 0
That's ok. I did some research and did not find anything on the topic either. We ended up just copy/pasting the individual barcodes into Word and that worked out fine. Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CALEB23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back