Back Tracing to find source

Nine Zero

Hello,

I am posting this to see if anyone can help me out.

Recently at my job one of our programmers quit without saying anything and left us with a database he created. It is an Excel spreadsheet linked to an Access database which pulls information from Microsoft Dynamics GP.

What my end goal is, i need to find out how the Access database is being linked to GP. Or how Excel is linked to it. The only connections i see in Excel are to 2 other spreadsheets and nothing else. Where else can i possibly look?

Thank you for your time, if you need anymore information let me know.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
If this is a split db (front end/back end) I would start with a copy of the FE before altering environment settings like I'm going to suggest. Note that anything you do to tables/data in an FE WILL affect the BE tables if you don't fix the connections to those tables first, so don't alter them or their data if you don't know what you're doing.

If you can, start by opening Access without allowing any code to run (shift key depressed when opening). If you cannot do this (and you have researched how if you don't understand my drift) the shift bypass has been disabled. You'll have to let us know.
If you get it open this way, check the Access Options > Current Database > Navigation Options and set the 'show hidden objects' to true (checked) in case there was an effort to hide connections, and look in the Nav pane for the list of tables. Also make sure the Navigation pane options are set to show it if you have not already noticed the Nav Pane. The connections to the tables can be looked at to see if that's where the GP data comes from. You might also see linked Excel spreadsheets in the tables section.
In Excel, look on the Data tab > Connections to see if the workbook is connected to anything.

Not much point in writing further until you report back.

Upvote 0
Note: MSAccess can also be linked to GP with pass-through queries (using an ODBC connection, likely, if so).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deasejm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back