Avoid Using R1C1 notation in VBA

Mitchbvi

I am trying to work out how I can replace RICI notation with names in my worksheet in a formula array . This works.

Code:
Range("M3").Select
    Selection.FormulaArray = _
        "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF(R2C13:R[-1]C, Expense2)), 0)),"""")"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("M3:M14"), Type:=xlFillDefault
    Range("M3:M14").Copy
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues

The formula in M3 is

=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF($M$2:M2, Expense2)), 0)),"")

What I want to do is have the count function use names like this.

Code:
Range("M3").Select
FirstArr = ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Address
Fixrow = ActiveCell.Row
FixCol = ActiveCell.Column
        "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,CountIf (FirstArr:R[-1]C, Expense2)), 0)),"""")"

The code does not throw up any errors this it what it enters in M3

=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,CountIf (FirstArr:M2, Expense2)), 0)),"")

I have tried making FirtsArr a range Reference with square brackets that throws an error. I need to understand if one can mix R1C1 notation with names and no amount of searching has produced a result.

Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi,

Can you tell what exactly are you trying to achieve? Based on your code, FirstArr = M2, so your formula would be M2:M2?

In any case, if ":M2" is always the same, I see no reason to use R[-1]C... Maybe it would be easier to find the full range within VBA and directly use it in function.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Can you tell what exactly are you trying to achieve? Based on your code, FirstArr = M2, so your formula would be M2:M2?

In any case, if ":M2" is always the same, I see no reason to use R[-1]C... Maybe it would be easier to find the full range within VBA and directly use it in function.

Thanks for getting back to me you are nearly correct but the formula shown in the one that works below is $M$2:M2. Also it is copied down for a number of rows, I have posted the entire sub below as that may make it easier to explain. Interestingly I tried changing the R1C1 reference to $M$2:M2 and that did not work.

Code:
Sub UniqueExpenses()
'Gets all unique names in the Expenses column Pastes to the designated column removes formulas and tranpose to Row
'Check to delete unnecessary columns
Dim FirstArr As Variant
Range("M3").Select
'The following works with the countif function and always refers to Row 2 Col 13 ("M") needs to change so it is dynamic
        "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF(R2C13:R[-1]C, Expense2)), 0)),"""")"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("M3:M14"), Type:=xlFillDefault
    Range("M3:M14").Copy
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues
    Range("O2").Select
     Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlAll, SkipBlanks:=True, Transpose:=True
     Range("L:N").Delete
    Range("P4").Select
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Columns("J:R").Select
    Selection.Delete shift:=xlToLeft
End Sub
Thanks for taking the trouble to look.

Peter

Upvote 0
Untested....
Code:
Sub UniqueExpenses()
'Gets all unique names in the Expenses column Pastes to the designated column removes formulas and tranpose to Row
Dim FirstArr As Variant
With Range("M3:M14")
.FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF($M$2:M2, Expense2)), 0)),"")"
.Value = .Value
End With
    Range("O2").Select
    Range("P4").Select
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
End Sub

Upvote 0
Untested....
Code:
Sub UniqueExpenses()
Dim FirstArr As Variant
With Range("M3:M14")
.FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF($M$2:M2, Expense2)), 0)),"")"
.Value = .Value
End With
    Range("O2").Select
    Range("P4").Select
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
End Sub
Michael thanks very much I guess I did not make myself very clear. I did get COUNTIF($M$2:M2) working I had left a space in place. However what I want to do is replace the $M$2:$M2 with Names. the same is true with the With Range in your example but I'm sure I can fix that.

I am doing something wrong when I replace the $M$2:M2 address . Did try assigning the absolute and relative address to a variable and the worked for the 1st Row but of course each row after had the same absolute and variable address so returned the same answer. It works in R1C1 notation as the M relative increases as the formula is copied down

Code:
Set CellCheck = Application.InputBox("Select 1st Cell to Put Expenses names in", Type:=8)
CellCheck.Select
FirstArr = CellCheck.Address
SecArr = CellCheck.Address(0, 0)
Arr1 = FirstArr & ":" & SecArr
Selection.FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF(ARR1, Expense2)), 0)),"""")"

Tried using

Code:
Selection.FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF(Firstarr:secarr, Expense2)), 0)),"""")"

That simple enters the string FirstArr:SecArr as part of the formula , tried putting address after the two variables that gives me runtime error .

Tried with double quotes concatenating the absolute and relative address that produces a runtime error unable to set the FormulaArray property of the Range Class

Code:
    Selection.FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF("" & Firstarr:secarr & "", Expense2)), 0)),"""")"

Thanks for trying.

Peter

Upvote 0
Untested...

Code:
.FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(Expense2, MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(Expense2),1,COUNTIF([COLOR="#FF0000"]" & Range("YourNamedRange") & ", [/COLOR]Expense2)), 0)),"")"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back