Average Salary (Comp) for all EE's in same roles

samyscraps01

Board Regular
Hi, I'll do my best to describe. This is a comp report that I pulled with the compensation for all employees in one company. The first step is to find the average salary for all the employees that sit in the same role.

e.g. the average salary for all carpenters, office managers, accountants, etc.

Sam Accountant $80000
Jack Carpenter $50000
Lucy Office Mgr $65000
Joe Carpenter $55000
Cory Office Mgr $62500

the second step is when I hand in this report, how do I hide or mask when I have one employee in each role (e.g. accountant) to not giveaway his exact salary? e.g. I can have 3 carpenters and have that average of that but what if I have 1 accountant then it will give me his exact salary ($80k) and I don't want it to do that. the closest thing I can find is rounding up or down. I don't know how to address that problem but I do need to include what the average salary is even if I only have 1 employee sitting in that role.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
You could try something like this, and hide column E in the final form.

Book1
ABCDEFG
1NameRoleSalaryRolesAverage by roleMasked
2SamAccountant$80,000Accountant$80,000Role masked
3JackCarpenter$50,000Carpenter$52,500Carpenter
4LucyOffice Mgr$65,000Office Mgr$63,750Office Mgr
5JoeCarpenter$55,000Plumber$60,000Role masked
6CoryOffice Mgr$62,500
7JenPlumber$60,000
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:F5F2=AVERAGEIF(B2:B7,E2,C2:C7)
G2:G5G2=IF(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$7,E2)=1,"Role masked",E2)

Upvote 0
Hi, this worked really well, the only issue I am having with masking the role is that then I hide the role altogether. I still need to show what an accountant makes; the only problem is I have many roles that only have one employee in it. the accountant is only on example. Essentially the people that will see this report will know that accountant makes 80k since I don't have more than 1 person to average out the salary. What else can I do to still show an average salary? These roles don't have a min or a max set up. Should I round up or down to mask the true salary amount? What other options might I have? When I say round up, if he makes $80 do I round up to $85k. I am not sure how to approach this issue without giving away exact salary amount.

Upvote 0
I'm don't know what your situation is, so I don't think I can help you decide how to hide the salaries. Glad to have helped with the formula.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back