Average giving wrong results - Possible wrong relation?

illio

Hi there,

I seem to be getting incorrect averaging results, when trying to get a fixed average over a table (with AVERAGEX). I think it may be due to PowerPivot inferring an incorrect relationship, but I'm unsure.

First a little background: I'm currently working on a dashboard where I have cases, case handlers, departments, case subjects and full case history. This means that in FactCases I have several rows per CaseID, where each of these has a Revision (the number of the change) and a Status (Open/Closed + a few others that aren't important).
The relevant dimensions for the issue here are:

DimCaseHandler: HandlerKey, HandlerUID, Name, Login, StartDate, EndDate
DimDepartment: DepartmentKey, DepartmentID, Name, StartDate, EndDate

If we look at some dummy data from DimCaseHandler (ignoring login, startdate and enddate), we have:

Code:
1; Anders Andersen_()_1; Anders Andersen
2; Benny Bennysen_()_2; Benny Bennysen
3; SOMEDOMAIN\claimsteam_()_2; claims
4; Anders Andersen_()_2; Anders Andersen
5; Anders Andersen_()_3; Anders Andersen
6; Anders Andersen_()_4; Anders Andersen
7; Anders Andersen_()_5; Anders Andersen
8; Anders Andersen_()_6; Anders Andersen
9; Benny Bennysen_()_5; Benny Bennysen
10; SOMEDOMAIN\salesteam$_()_5; sales$

So different case handlers can have the same name, but they'll have a different HandlerUID and a different HandlerKey (the primary key). HandlerUID is constructed as [Name]_([Login])_DepartmentID .. In this case logins aren't used, so they're empty.

Now the problem is I'm trying to create a PivotTable with the following information:

Handler NameAvg. completion timeKPI# cases closedKPI# cases in totalKPICompletion percentageKPI
Carsten C.37 daysgreen10red210green4.7%red

<tbody>
</tbody>

Where each KPI compares that CaseHandlers performance with the average performance for all CaseHandlers. So e.g. if Carsten C closes 10 cases in this given timeframe and the average for all casehandlers is 22, that'll be a red flag.

To do this I introduced the following measures in FactCases, in order of occurance in the above table:

Avg. completion time
Code:
AvgCaseCompletionPerCaseHandler:=ROUNDUP(CALCULATE(AVERAGE(FactCases[CompletionTime]); FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('FactCases'; FactCases[HandlerKey]); FactCases[Status] = "Closed")); 0)

KPI on Avg. completion time relative to:
Code:
AvgCaseCompletion:=ROUNDUP(CALCULATE(AVERAGE(FactCases[CompletionTime]); FILTER(ALL('FactCases'); FactCases[Status] = "Closed")); 0)

# cases closed
Code:
NumberOfClosedCases:=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(FactCases[CaseID]);FILTER(FactCases; FactCases[Status]="Closed"))

KPI of # cases closed relative to:
Code:
AvgNumberOfClosedCases:=CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(DimCaseHandler; [NumberOfClosedCases]); ALL(DimCaseHandler))

# cases in total
Code:
NumberOfCases:=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(FactCases[CaseID]))

KPI of # cases in total relative to:
Code:
AvgNumberOfCases:=CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(DimCaseHandler; [NumberOfCases]); ALL(DimCaseHandler))

Completion percentage
Code:
CompletionPercentage:=[NumberOfClosedCases]/[NumberOfCases]

KPI on Completion percentage relative to:
Code:
AvgCompletionPercentage:=CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(DimCaseHandler; [CompletionPercentage]); ALL(DimCaseHandler))

Now, showing you all the data in FactTable is probably a bit much, but the resulting PivotTable looks like this:

Name Avg. completion time KPI # cases closed KPI # cases in total KPI Completion percentage KPI
Anders Andersen1 green5 green17green29,41%red
Benny Bennysen1 green4green
SOMEDOMAIN\salesteam1 green1red
SOMEDOMAIN\claimsteam1 green1 red22 green4,55% red

<tbody>
</tbody>

Note that Benny Bennysen has not closed any cases and neither has the salesteam. Yet for some reason an avg. completion time gets computed for them anyway?
Also note that the average number of closed cases is, supposedly (according to PowerPivot): 2 .. Which doesn't quite make sense to me, regardless of how I compute it. AvgNumberOfCases also seems off, at 4,4. And the AvgCompletionPercentage is supposedly 49% (0,49), which seems completely wrong, when the best performer is Anders Andersen at 29%.

So all in all, there's clearly some weirdness going on here. What I think it might be is that while our data separates people if they're from different departments (regardless of whether they have the same name), PowerPivot doesn't do that. It only shows 1x Anders Anderson, even though we have 6 of him (different HandlerUID and different HandlerKey). Now, this may be fine in a sense, if it just meant PowerPivot assumed its the same person each time and treated all of them as the same. However I don't think that's what it's doing, because the results seem inconsistent. Sometimes it assumes they're the same and sometimes it doesn't.

So my questions are as follows:

1) How do I fix this if I want PowerPivot to treat handlers with the same name, as if they were the same person?
2) How do I fix this, if I want PowerPivot to treat handlers separately by their HandlerUID (or HandlerKey) such that the PivotTable gets 10 entries instead of 4 and such that the slicer for DimCaseHandler shows 10 options (e.g. with the department in paranthesis), rather than 4?

Any pointers?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back