Avatar Problems, using URLS does not work.

Patience

Hey there.

I have been having avatar problems lately. I have been trying to display a 'real avatar' but have had problems getting an image of me down to 6KB, well, at least whenever I try to upload one it tells me the image can not be bigger tha 6KB. Soooooo..... As I had previously had no problems linking an avatar to an URL (an image I hosted with photobucket,) I tried that again with my 'real avatar,' but simply got this message:

General Error

Unable to upload file

DEBUG MODE

Line : 250
File : usercp_avatar.php

Of course then I tried to upload the image I had previously been using (which had been linked to the Photobucket URL) but the same "Your avatar should be no larger than 6kb" message came up.

Can anyone tell me why that image would only work from the URL? Also, what does the error message mean? Did I do something bad?

To ask the obvious first: are you certain the file size is 6k or less? Assuming you're using Windows, if you right-click on an image and select "Properties" you should be able to see the file size (IE seems to display the size in bytes, Firefox actually gives the kb). You also need to make sure the image is within the 90x90 size requirement, as well.

Can you give the link to the image you want to use? If you don't want to actually post the link, you can send me a PM with it.

As to the error message: I have no idea why that would appear. I don't think it should be directly related to something you did. I can ask about that error, though. Not much else I can do, myself.

At any rate, you didn't break anything if that's what you're worried about. ;)

Phew! Well that's a start at least!

OK - I have established that the 'me' pic is 10KB (and will not allow for any more cropping) (despite the fact that in photoshop when I resize the image it tells me in is 6kb...) but, that doesn't explain why my old avatar now won't upload. That image has not changed.

I can live without an avatar, but this has become something of a personal battle for me.

Hi, Patience,

You want to get in DRAFT :)
Did you try different formats to get the size down ?

You will laugh perhaps, I simply used the good(?) old (!) "Paint" to cut my picture, then saved as jpg.

kind regards,
Erik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back