Automatically fill in fields (relationship question maybe?)

Hasgin

Warning: I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to Access. I am trying to create a database that will track our volunteers who have signed a certain form. On the form, volunteers indicate the name of the Area and the Area number they are volunteering for.

I've created an Access form into which we can easily enter the information. Ideally, I would prefer that if either the Area # or Area Name were entered, Access would automatically fill in the other field. For instance, if I entered in the Area # (WA23) into the appropriate field, "Northwest/Puget Sound Region" would automatically be filled in in the Area Name field.

I have 2 tables set up. The main one (tblMain) contains all of the fields that will need to be completed. I then have a separate table (tblAreas) that contains all the Area #'s and corresponding Area Names.

I'm not sure how to set it up so that the auto-fill-in's can occur. I thought I might need to set up a relationship of some sort, but I wasn't for sure, and the relationships I attempted didn't work the way I wanted them to work.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give! Please let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks so much!
Gina

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back