Autofilling multiple cells

dtackett6248

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've come to you experts again for help with my favorite program. I love creating spreadsheets with Excel, and my friends are more than aware of it when they see my computer. I'm hoping that I can do what I'm about to ask, because if for some reason Excel can't do it, I need to teach myself how to create a database. I'm guessing a database may be easier overall, but it's hard to tell since Excel is such a versatile program. With all that fluff being said, I'm wondering if I can set up a spreadsheet where when I type a persons name in to the A column, that Excel can autopopulate data for that persons name for the columns in columns B to AG. I work at a clinic, and we have a lot of data for patients to search from. Currently for me to do my job I have to reference multiple sheets for data on each person. I have a page with the complete list of patients on it, with their data, but a report that I need to run requires usually about 150 various names placed onto it. I could go through the main sheet and copy/paste the data out, but it gets kind of old with searching for 150 names out of 1,000 listed. For a brief example of the data for the columns, from Column A to Column K are as follows: Last Name / First Name / Middle Name / Active / Type / Provider / Birthdate / Age / Phone / Email / Appointment Date. The rest of the columns are data about that person. Here's where I throw a bit of a wrench into the works, and why a copy/paste doesn't really work. From Columns A to Ag, I only need 10 columns for the report. With the copy/paste, I then have to go through and delete the columns that aren't needed. But, if I can somehow autopopulate the required cells into the report sheet, then my life would be that much easier. Sorry if my rambling question didn't make much sense, but if it did, and Excel can perform one more miracle for me in life, and someone out there knows how to formulate how to do it, I'd be grateful for the knowledge. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
You could easily achieve your goal by "filtering" your data for the patient name. Providing a sample workbook with about 20 entry rows would provide sufficient information
to work with. You would need to post the workbook to a cloud download site like DROPBOX.COM .

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back