Auto update new records for related tables?

Alexx

I have a database for students. I have to organize a huge amount of info for each one, like address, gpa, test scores, etc etc. I want to put these catagories into separate tables rather than have one huge table. I want to be able to add a new student to the main table, and have the related tables automatically add a new (blank) record for that student - as if it were all part of the same table. Is that possible? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
How you do this depends on your table structure. A minimal structure for what you are after is
(1) Students, with Name, Address, Phone, StudentID, etc.
(2) Courses, with CourseID, CourseDescription, StartDate, EndDate, TeacherID, etc. (TeacherID is a foreign key from the Teachers table, which holds all details on your academic staff)
(3) Tests, with TestID, StudentID, CourseID, TestDate, Score, etc.

GPA is a calculation and should not be stored in a table. You'll want to set up a query to calculate that for you as the student's test results are updated.

Have a look at the Northwind database to see some ideas for setting up the forms. You could have frmStudent, with subCourses and subTests as subforms, set so that selecting a student shows all courses enrolled or attempted. Clicking any course shows all test results for that course.

If you get stuck, send another message.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PierreF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back