Auto protect certain columns after 5 minutes inactivity

SKuser

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hello!
I have prepared a document in which about 50 volunteers must indicate their availability on certain dates each month. The columns in which they indicate yes or no should always open for editing, for anyone.
In contrast, columns A through L contain information they should never be able to edit. Only my office colleagues are allowed to edit this. Therefore, these columns should be password protected.

I would like to set the following:

When someone unprotects columns A through L with the password, this protection should be automatically restored after 5 minutes. One must then manually unprotect it and after another 5 minutes the security is restored again. Etc. Etc.

Why: Colleagues will forget to restore column security manually. We know from experience that our lovely volunteers are enormously quick to ruin the entire file (unintentionally) when everything is open for editing, so automatic security is very important ;)

I know how and where to enter the code, but I cannot write any code myself. Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks in advance!!!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Also, if I set it to protect after 5 minutes, what happens when someone closes the file within those 5 minutes? Will it then be unprotected, or will it also restore protection when the file is closed?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back