Auto populate data from master worksheet to cooresponding .monthly spreadsheet

Rocky Mountain High

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a master workbook (or worksheet) where data is entered on a daily basis. Column D is a chronological order of daily case numbers. Column B is the date when each case number was issued. There are times when the dates may not be in chronical order due to the data being collected and entered for two separate municipalities. Monthly & quarterly sheets are created from the mastersheet to include formulas and formatting. I can't figure out a formula that would filter data by month and (also keeping the data from Column D in chronological order) and automatically populate the data into the appropriate monthly spreadsheet. I currently have to first filter the data from the master worksheet and copy/paste it to the corresponding monthly spreadsheets. This often leaves too much room for errors and it sometimes messes up my formulas and formatting. I can send a sample of my current master & monthly sheets but it's sensitive data so I don't want to put it on a public forum.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi

Please check the following approach
Please make individual sheets with the month names- eg: Jan 2024, Feb 2024 etc

Within any individual sheet (say Jan 2024), please take out the sheet name using the following formula in any cell (Say A1)
=MID(CELL("filename"),SEARCH("]",CELL("filename"),1)+1,LEN(CELL("filename")))
This would yield the sheetname, ie, Jan 2024 in this case in the cell

Next, please make this string "Jan 2024" into a date, using the formula datevalue(A1)

With this date in A2, please use the following formula
(Assuming the source data resides in "Master" sheet ,across columns A:D)
B1= filter('Master'!A:D, date(year('Master'!B:B), month('Master'!B:B),1)=A2)

OR

to combine everything in one go

B1= filter('Master'!A:D, date(year('Master'!B:B), month('Master'!B:B),1)=DATEVALUE(MID(CELL("filename"),SEARCH("]",CELL("filename"),1)+1,LEN(CELL("filename")))))

Upvote 0
Hi

Another approach

Please add a helper column in the master data which would have the month

Please make a pivot table, with the the new month column as page filter, and the requisite data (date, serial no, other details) in the pivot fields

Then, Tabs--->Pivot Table Analyze---->Pivot table (dropdown)----> Options (dropdown)---->Show Report filter pages

This creates individual pivot tables for each of the months, with sheet titles also labeled appropriately

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back