Auto Fill values in cells with items in Data Validation or a List/range

Bond00

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
So much like the title says, I'd like to be able to just type 1 or 2 letters in a cell and have it auto fill in. (Much like it does as if the same thing was typed the cell above, it auto fills it in that cell)

Like in the pic below, if the name was in that column already (without spaces) it will auto populate in the cell. This happens in excel regardless if its Data Validation or not.
But if a list is skipped with even just 1 blank space this great feature no longer exists. Is there a way to make that not the case?
1727514263331.png

See in this picture below it doesn't work now just because there's a blank space between..
1727514475047.png

It no longer auto fills.. If there was a way around this that would make me happy in itself.
But it would be nice that if as i'm typing it would auto come up with options in the Validation list as if it was typed in the cell above as options.

I thought about maybe hiding some rows with all these names typed in that column so this would work but that's not an option since it has to all be in a row and no spaces.

I'm using a older version of excel right now but does this even exist in newer versions like 2019, 2021 or 2024? (not a 365 user)

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
This feature does exist in 365. So nice.

I have tried to replicate that exact feature in Excel prior to 365 and in my opinion, it is not possible. I have created a clunky version, but it requires creating dependent dropdowns; it makes the user enter partial string, then the dropdown filters the list based on that partial. You could create combo boxes for each cell (wut a pain).

Jeff

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikhil excel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back