associate columns so they can be sorted together.

Nick11

Were going to have a race. Each person will run a course one at a time, with finishing time being recorded. After finishing time is recorded, the next person will run the course, and then their time will be recorded.
Before race ever begins, column A will have names of contestants in the order that they will be running.
In column B, we will enter the finishing time immediately beside the runners name as they cross the finish line and their time is announced.

I would like to copy column A into column D, and sort Column D (descending) so the fastest finish time is always at the top. (I know how to do this using the data tab/sort/descending)
What I need help with: I'd like to have the correct name in column E beside the sorted finish time in Column D.

Thanks so much for your help

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Hey Nick

I do not understand what you are trying to do. It is not that I don’t know how to sort, but it is the logic of what you are trying to do.

So, I think you want to look into sort8ng with multiple criteria.

I think you want to keep the order of runners plus the fastest runner.

So, if you have the name in Column A, and the Time in Column B. So I am proposing that you copy Columns A and B into D and E and sort Columns D and E independent from Columns A and B. This way you will be able to keep the order of runners, and Find the fastest runner. Column C will be empty so that when you sort each side it will be sorted independently.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply!
It's funny. Trying to convey an idea in your head into words on a computer screen....

Before the race starts, Column A will have list of racers names in the order they will compete. Nothing else on screen.
Each runner will race one at a time. When he finishes, his time will be entered into column B beside his name.
Column D will simply sort (descending) the values in column B. The values in column D will populate and sort throughout the event as times continue to be entered into column B.
Column E is simply the name corresponding to the race time in Column D.

A B C D E
Tom 15.3 13.5 Jack
Susie 17.5 14.3 Dan
Fred 18.2 15.3 Tom
Dan 14.3 17.5 Susie
George
Greg
Sandy
Cody

As George races, his time will be entered into Column B. Then, column D will re-sort based on where Georges time falls in the list. The names shown in Column E will "re-order" so they fall beside their corresponding time shown in D. The only thing that sorts is the times in D. The names in E don't sort, per se. They simply "rearrange" so they constantly fall beside their corresponding finishing time that sorts in column D.

I hope that makes sense!!!
Thanks
Nick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back